Chapter Twenty-Eight

Author's Note: Let me first just say how SORRY I AM! Life has been beyond hectic (but in a great way) this past year, and I apologize to everyone who read my story because I always promised myself that I would NEVER leave a story hanging but I did exactly that. :( Please forgive me! Anyway, I know this is kind of short, but I figured it was better than no update at all, so here you go, many many months late - Chapter 28! I think this story will have one more chapter, so keep an eye out for that (hopefully not over a year later!)

One more thing - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! To everyone who read this story, commented, and voted! It means so much to me, even though I have been so MIA! It was incredible to log on and see my story still flourishing and being loved, even after so long and even after not updating properly! You guys are incredible! &*

~

Nervously, Jesse stood in front of the giant full-length mirror outside of the courtroom, fidgeting with his hands in his pockets, checking his appearance. He wore a nice dark green button up shirt with a silver tie and black slacks. His hair was recently buzzed and he had trimmed his facial hair appropriately for the occasion.

As he stared at his reflection in the mirror, he ran the pad of his index finger over the length of the rugged scar on his cheekbone. He sighed deeply. He didn't like the constant reminder of his unbelievable past, and he thought the mark was ugly, but the subtle stubble on his face made it less noticeable.

It was a good thing Jolie liked when he had a slight beard.

Moments later, Coop and Linda walked into the courthouse, walking over to Jesse when they noticed him off to the side.

"Are they in there already?" Linda asked.

Jesse nodded. "They've been in there for about ten minutes already. They should be calling us to go in soon."

"You look nervous, son," Coop pointed out.

"I am," Jesse replied. "I don't know why."

Suddenly, the doors to the courtroom opened and Gwen poked her head out. "They're about to sign the papers – come on in."

Jesse, Coop, and Linda followed suit into the courtroom, where a judge was sitting behind her bench, wearing her full robe. Jolie, Lucy, and Lia were gathered behind the judge. The look on Jolie's face spoke volumes. Jesse had never seen her so vibrant and happy before.

Lia and Lucy waved happily to the familiar trio as they joined them behind the judge.

"Judge Cain, this is my father, Cooper, my mother, Linda, and a special family friend, Jesse," Jolie introduced.

"Nice to meet you all," Judge Cain smiled. "Well, if everyone is here, let's get this thing finalized! Gwen, I'll have you go first – sign here and here as witness," she pointed to random places on the paper.

Everyone watched as Gwen leaned over and signed her name. Linda began taking pictures with her camera.

"Okay, then Miss Quinn, I'll have you sign here, here, and here," Judge Cain pointed throughout the paper again.

Linda continued taking photos as Jolie wrote fluidly on the formal piece of paper.

"Great. Now I will sign the adoption decree," Judge Cain stated as she wrote her own name then stamped a few different pages.

Jesse smiled at Jolie, feeling nervous yet ecstatic for her. With raised eyebrows, she smiled back excitedly. He could tell she was feeling the same way. It was something that seemed so simple on the outside, with the laid-back judge and casual invitation for the family to watch, but it made such a profound difference in their lives.