Chapter Thirty-One

An open letter to FMFY readers:

After Breaking Bad ended, I spent a lot of time wondering what happened to Jesse and where he would've ended up and how the whole thing would've unfolded. After everything he had been through, I sort of refused to think about anything other than a wonderfully happy ending for him. He deserved it, right? And if Vince Gilligan wasn't going to give it to him (at the time, at least) then I wanted to. And thus, this story was born. And I loved writing it, I loved giving Jesse a happy life, and I loved hearing from you guys that you all wanted the same for him and that it made you happy to read about him living a good life. I know this story was cheesy and everything was probably "too perfect" but that's what I wanted for him.

In a few days, we'll all find out that he didn't actually end up unscathed, that he didn't end up in Louisiana, and that he didn't end up with the Quinn family or as a carpenter, but I trust that Vince Gilligan will do right by Jesse. (But if not, if Jesse so much as gets a paper cut in this movie, I will riot and I know you all will be with me.)

It has literally been more than three years since I updated this story, and I don't know if anyone is still around to even read this cessation, but I still wanted to finish it before we find out what "actually" happened after Felina. I wanted my version of Jesse's story to finally be complete. And I wanted to say thank you to every single person who allowed me to tell my own version of Jesse's story after Breaking Bad. Thank you to everyone who read this story at any point on its journey. Thank you to everyone who left me comments and messages, rated and voted, and everything else in between.

Sometimes I think I never finished this story because I didn't want it to ever end, but in honor of El Camino... here's the last chapter of Jesse's story.

&*

P.S. Get ready, this one might give you cavities... bitch.

------------------------------

"Clean off the desk for me, would ya?" Coop requested as he and Jesse set the newly sanded entertainment center down in the middle of the shop. "I want to lay out the stain cans across the top so I don't forget the order I use them."

"On it," Jesse complied as he jogged over to the desk and began to move stuff around to clear some space for the stains.

He moved all the invoices to their designated folders and put all the pens, pencils, and markers back in the drawers where they belonged. Then he picked up Coop's schedule book and calendar and carried it over to a different desk, thinking about what a shitstorm it would be if a stain can fell over and spilled on it. He glanced at today's page in the book, thankful that the entertainment center was the only thing on the agenda.

Then, just as he went to set the book down on the other desk, he noticed today's date.

It had been a year, he realized. A year since he arrived in Louisiana. A year since his old life had ended. A year since his new life had begun. Since the rest of his life had begun.

It wasn't just a new chapter anymore. It was his life now. And it was permanent.

"Are we gonna finish this piece or are you gonna daydream all afternoon?" Coop teased.

Jesse glanced over his shoulder to see Coop standing next to the other desk, having already laid out all the stain cans, waiting impatiently.

"Sorry, Coop," he laughed and set down the schedule book then joined his boss across the shop.

"Alright, son," Coop began. "We're gonna start with this finish. Stain the whole piece then we'll go back over it with this one." He pointed to the various cans across the desk. "Grab a rag."