Chapter Five

The next day, Jesse arrived at the shop early, to prove to Coop that he was serious about the job. He was renting out a room at the Magnolia Inn a few miles away and had to call a cab to bring him to work, but he was willing to do whatever it took to prove his worth. Coop had shown him around the day before, teaching him how to use all the tools and equipment, showing him where everything was at, and teaching him all the technical terms for everything. Now it was time for the real work to begin.

"Start sanding those boards down there, will ya?" Coop requested as he pointed to a pile of wooden planks on the ground.

"Yes sir," Jesse replied, proud of his politeness - something he had already picked up from the southern hospitality he received from the locals.

"Let me get this damn garage door open before we sweat to death," Coop stated as he walked over to the wall and pressed a white button.

Jesse watched as a garage door on the side of the shop rose up, revealing a view of the houses next to it. He hadn't noticed the huge door before, but he was thankful for it as soon as the breeze hit his face. Being from Albuquerque, he was used to heat and humidity (though Louisiana had much more humidity) but he certainly didn't enjoy sweating all day.

The feeling of smooth wood felt like lace against the pad of Jesse's fingers as he got to work. He was so thankful for the opportunity to feel that again.

"This must be Jesse," a woman's voice appeared in the opening where the garage door used to be.

Jesse turned around to see an older woman, around Coop's age, walking into the shop carrying a tray that was holding a pitcher full of dark brown liquid with two slices of lemon floating on top and two glasses full of ice. She was wearing a frilly white apron, decorated with appropriate food stains.

"Jesse, this is my wife Linda," Coop introduced.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Quinn," Jesse smiled at her.

"Oh, you are such a doll," she cooed as she set the tray down on one of the desks. "But please, call me Linda."

"You bringing us drinks already?" Coop asked her.

"Well, I know it's early, but I don't want you boys getting too overheated out here so I brought you some sweet tea," she explained.

She filled each glass with the dark liquid then handed one to Jesse and one to Coop.

Jesse took a sip. His taste buds jumped as the sweet beverage hit his mouth. It was the most delicious thing he had ever tasted. It had just the right amount of sugar and a hint of lemon.

"Wow," Jesse said as he swallowed the sip. "That's good."

"I make it myself." Linda smiled proudly at him.

"Ah, jeez, she's showing off for you, Jesse," Coop teased as he took a sip of his own drink.

"Well, it's the best drink I've ever had," Jesse complimented her.

"Thank you," she responded. "I'll let you boys get back to it. It was nice to meet you, Jesse."

"You too," he replied. "Thank you for the tea."

"Yeah, thanks, Lin," Coop said as he took the pitcher off the tray and poured himself another glass.

"Anytime," she replied as she took the tray and walked back toward the house.

"Linda and I live in that house up there. Lived there for thirty years," Coop told him as he pointed to the first house, the one closest to the shop.

"Who lives in the second house?" Jesse wondered.

"Jolie and my two granddaughters," Coop explained.