Chapter Twenty-Six

A/N: Sorry it took so long to post this one – I've been studying for a HUGE exam. But I hope this chapter was well worth the wait ;) Oh and thanks so much for all the incredible feedback you guys have been giving! It makes my world go round! Enjoy! &*

~

On the last night of the year, a bonfire bellowed on the Quinn property near the lake, keeping the family warm as they tried to bring in the New Year together. It was still a few hours away from midnight, yet Lucy had already fallen asleep up on Jolie's shoulder as she sat in a foldout chair next to Linda. A few yards away, Coop and Jesse lit sparklers and small firecrackers for Lia, who was loving the one on one attention from the two men in her life.

"Jeez, kid, don't burn yourself!" Coop warned as a few sparks popped Lia's hand.

"I'm okay, Grandpa Coop!" Lia insisted, brushing him off. "Look, I can spell my name!" She twirled her arm around, spelling her name in the air with the smoke from the sparkler.

"Spell my name!" Jolie suggested, enjoying the sight of her niece so enthralled by the fireworks.

"Okay!" Lia complied as she moved her arms widely through the air.

Jolie smiled as she watched her niece spell her name then random words with her sparkler until it fizzled out.

"Ready for this one, Lia?" Jesse asked as he kneeled down to light a few firework fountains that he had strung together to go off at once.

"What's it gonna do?" She asked as she stood behind him, observing him intently.

"Watch," he said as the tip quickly ignited and the flame began traveling down the fuse.

He turned around, scooped Lia up backwards with one arm, and rushed away from the impending detonation. She giggled as she bounced in his grip, and once he was a few yards further, he slowed to a halt then put her back on her feet. He crouched down beside her, wrapping one arm around her waist, just in case the firework went awry, and waited.

Instinctively, Jolie covered Lucy's exposed ear so it wouldn't startle her in her sleep, and waited for the blast as well.

Within seconds, the fireworks erupted, shooting multiple sparks a few feet into the air, which popped in a multitude of colors and bright flashes of light, and fell to the ground in a fountain-like shape.

"Ooh!" Lia squealed as her eyes lit up. "I like this one!"

Jesse smiled at her excitement. It was a mediocre firework in his opinion, but it impressed the young girl, and that was all that mattered.

When the sparks died out, Lia clapped her hands happily. "Do another one! A bigger one!"

Jesse laughed as he stood to his feet and walked over to the table that contained their fireworks. "Slow your roll, kiddo. Let's set off some smoke bombs first or something. We gotta save the good stuff for later."

"Okay, I want a pink smoke bomb!" Lia insisted.

"Duh, I knew that," he teased as he held out two little pink spheres in his hand.

"Yay!" Lia cheered.

Jolie watched as he held the two bombs between his fingers and lit them simultaneously then threw them out into the yard. Moments later, pink puffs of smoke floated into the air.

"Can I go run through it?" Lia asked Jesse.

"Go for it," he encouraged, laughing when she instantly darted toward the smoke, leaping and jumping through it. She waved her arms around goofily, wafting the pink swirls in different directions.