Chapter Sixteen

A/N: Feedback is always much appreciated! Enjoy! &*

~

Everything seemed to move in slow motion. Soft light was shining through the window from the early morning sun. Subtle laughter floated in the background. It felt like a scene from a movie. One of those scenes that just make you feel good inside.

Still hazy from sleep, Jolie sat at the kitchen table, drinking hot coffee from a mug, watching from a distance as Jesse sat on the floor of the living room, with Lucy in his lap and Lia on his side, building a large castle out of pink Lego blocks for their barbies and ninja turtles. Everyone was still in their pajamas and still had sleepy eyes, and for some reason, it made her feel complete inside, like everything was finally the way it was supposed to be.

She wanted to take a picture, to remember how pure and beautiful life could be. The way the girls looked up at Jesse in admiration. The way he looked at them adoringly. Their sleep-tousled hair and his slight stubble. Their sweet little giggles and his sincere smile. God, his smile. It was so genuine and loving. She could just see how great of a person he was simply from his smile.

She didn't know what time it was – she didn't care – but she knew it was early in the morning. The girls had woken her up, excited as hell that it was finally getting chilly outside. The fall season came late in Louisiana, where the scorching heat stuck around for nearly two months longer than it should have. And not long after the girls woke up, Jesse arrived on her doorstep with hot chocolate for the girls and coffee for Jolie.

It was simply his excuse to see them so early in the morning. He was falling head over heels for Jolie, no doubt, constantly wanting to see her and be around her, but Lia and Lucy had him wrapped around their little fingers as well.

"Look how tall our castle is, Aunt Jo!" Lia called from her spot next to Jesse.

He glanced up at the beautiful blonde at the kitchen table, who was smiling from ear to ear. He was always aware of her presence. Any time she was near him, he could feel her beauty radiating off of her body.

"Wow, I love it," Jolie replied. "Jesse is great at building castles, huh?"

He smiled at her. That gorgeous little weirdo who he found laying in the middle of the aquarium tunnel. The same gorgeous little weirdo who got drunk in the middle of the day with him in New Orleans and kissed him while they were dressed as ninja turtles. He couldn't believe the ridiculous memories they had already made in such a short amount of time.

"I build a pretty mean fort too," Jesse added.

"What's a fort?" Lia asked with a curiously furrowed brow.

"What do you mean 'what's a fort'?" Jesse asked with wide eyes. "Did your Aunt Jo never build a fort with you?"

Lia shook her head, raising her eyebrows at this new creation that she is apparently missing out on.

Jesse looked over at Jolie. "You have got to be kidding me."

Jolie chuckled and shrugged. "Sorry, never got around to it."

"That's it," Jesse stated as he lifted Lucy off of his lap then stood up. "We need lots of sheets and blankets and pillows, immediately. Can you girls handle that?"

Lia and Lucy nodded vigorously, very interested in what was about to happen, then took off down the hall to gather supplies as Jesse had instructed.

"Can I move a few things around so we can build a proper fort for these poor deprived little girls?" Jesse asked teasingly.

"Go for it," Jolie encouraged. Like she would ever say 'no' to that face.