Chapter Nineteen

A/N: sexual content warning.

~

Silence overwhelmed Jesse as he stepped outside the front door of Coop and Linda's house and made his way across the yard to the shop. For the first time since he had arrived on the Quinn property, he felt alone. And that's because he was alone.

Jolie was dropping the girls off at school, Linda had gone to the grocery store, and Coop was out delivering finished pieces to customers. And the lack of their presence was tangible as Jesse looked around, feeling uncomfortable with the empty environment.

The weather was warm that winter day, warranting Jesse to only sport a light t-shirt on top of his jeans instead of a long-sleeve shirt and jacket, which were typically needed. He noticed that Louisiana had sporadic days that felt like summer, despite the fact that it had been near freezing only a couple days earlier.

He walked into the shop and sat at Coop's desk in his swivel chair, logging onto the computer to work on invoices, as they had no upcoming projects to work on that day. Even though it wasn't his favorite thing to do, he knew that taking care of invoices would help Coop out tremendously.

But it didn't take long for Jesse to find himself spinning in circles in the computer chair – something Coop 'fussed' at him for numerous times. His attention span had run out. He was bored – simply bored without a single Quinn around.

Which is why his eyes lit up when he heard a car coming up the gravel driveway.

Still in the swivel chair, he rolled himself over to the side of the garage door, where he could get a good peek at who was home but still be hidden so he didn't seem desperate for company.

He perked up as he watched Jolie climb out of her 4-Runner, clad in a casual short-sleeve dark purple dress that cinched around her waist. The flowy bottom half of the dress came midway up her thigh, and she wore brown riding boots, showing off just enough of her toned legs to make Jesse's heart race.

Her hips swayed with the dress as she climbed the steps of her front porch, oblivious that she was being watched. But Jesse couldn't take his eyes off of her. She had an air of confidence about her when she walked. He was drawn to her, like usual, like a magnet to metal.

When she disappeared inside her house, Jesse took a deep breath to shake his heavy thoughts. He glanced over at the computer, wondering if he should just stay in the shop and finish the invoices. But the temptation was too much for him, so he set off toward Jolie's house.

He knocked on the door gently a few times, but heard no response, so he opened it slowly.

"Jo?!" He called so he wouldn't startle her.

Her heart smiled at the sound of his voice. "In here!"

Jesse shut the door gently behind him then followed the sound of her voice through the kitchen and barely into the hall where he saw her putting clothes into the washing machine. Quietly, he walked up behind her then snaked his arms around her waist from behind.

"Good morning," he muttered as he kissed her cheek.

"Good morning to you too," she said with a smile as she started the washing machine then turned around in his arms to face him. She immediately smelled his subtle cologne, which had quickly become the sexiest thing she had ever smelled before.

He smiled at her sweetly as she wrapped her arms around his neck. She nearly melted as he stared into her eyes, completely vulnerable to his gaze. He leaned down to place a soft kiss on her lips. She kissed back instantly, feeling her entire body relax in his arms.