Chapter Nine

March 28, 2000

Dear Bill,

Living with Dad is so much better. I go to Jordan's after school because he has to work and says I can't stay at the apartment by myself yet. Today at lunch Mel told me that Derrick yells at Mom a lot and a couple of days ago she saw him hit her. She made me promise not to tell Dad but I really want to tell Dad because he should not be hitting anyone, especially my Mom. It's not nice and boys aren't supposed to hit girls no matter what. Except for if you're being bad and your Dad has to spank you.

My Dad lets me listen to rock music and watch MTV. He says that Mom got brainwashed by church. I don't go to church anymore and I am happy. I don't like the leaders there. They aren't nice. They say that a wife should do everything her husband tells her to do and that doesn't sound fair. But Mel still goes and she thinks that the leaders are right. I wish she could choose to live with me and Dad now and not in a couple of years. I don't want her to be brainwashed like Mom.

Yesterday Dad said that he has to get a lawyer so he can take Sheryl to a place called court and get Nolan to live with us. I hope it works.

A boy in my class called Ricky always pulls my hair and stuffs banana peels in my desk. Jordan says it's because he likes me and that's what boys do when they like you. You're a boy. Is she telling the truth? Do you think Ricky likes me? I hope that he doesn't because I think he is annoying and he called me fat one time.

What do you and Tom do on the weekends when you don't practice music with the band? Do you like cake? What about cheese? I love cheese. Do the rude boys still pick on you? If I was there and I saw them picking on you I would throw worms at them and then punch them on the face. Dad showed me how to punch and I am really good at it.

From yours truly,

Edie

P.S. - Tom stop hiding my letters from Bill. It's not nice. And your braid things look funny.

So good news - I'm not sick anymore!!!! Yay!!