Chapter Twelve

June 8, 2000

Dear Bill,

I have been really really sad. My Mom is still with Derrick. I hate school so much and the only reason I go now is so I can see Mel every day. There is something wrong with her. She never smiles or laughs anymore. She isn't happy and that means that I'm not happy. She won't tell me what's wrong. I think it's because of Derrick. Every time I go to Mom's for the weekend he has friends over. They smoke gross cigarettes that smell like skunks and drink a lot of beer. Mom stays in her room most of the time so Mel and I walk to the park or play with the kids that live next door. I wish she would tell me what is happening.

Dad says his lawyer found out where Nolan and Sheryl live. They are in Alberta and the lawyer says Sheryl can be arrested for kidnapping.

When I am ten I will be allowed to stay home by myself for a couple hours after school until Dad gets back from work. I hope Mel lives with us when I am ten but she says she doesn't want to leave Mom alone with Derrick because he is mean and yells a lot.

How is the band doing? Are you guys famous yet?

Ricky is still bothering me. I stopped telling the teacher on him ever since I punched him and got sent to see the principal. Now Ricky gets me in trouble all the time. I see the principal every day. Mr Kohl is really mean.

Do you want to write each other after the school year is done? I can give you my mailing address. I asked Dad last night and he said it was ok with him if we keep writing to each other. Just let me know.

From yours truly,

Edie