Chapter 6

I wasn't expecting it, things would change so drastically, so soon

I wasn't expecting it, things would change so drastically, so soon. I know that she said that she was going to do things differently, but, I guess I didn't think she meant she would start immediately. When I wake up in the morning, Mom's awake and cooking breakfast with a smile on her face. The smell of bacon sizzling on the stove makes my mouth water, and I find myself smiling harder than I have in a long time.

"Good morning, Seline." She chirps with a bright smile on her face. I smile back at her, because today she doesn't look dead inside. Today she has a smile on her face, and she seems to have gotten a lot of sleep: there aren't any bags under her eyes; her hair is made up, and she looks dressed and ready to go out somewhere. Today, she looks like my mom again.

"Morning, Mommy."

I sit at the kitchen table and watch her cook the bacon and the scrambled eggs.

"You look nice today. Are you going out somewhere?" I ask her, watching as she grabs a plate for all of the scrambled eggs, bacon, and grabs another plate for herself.

"I'm just going job hunting; I don't like that I've put so much pressure on you to grow up, I'm really sorry." She sighs, and I move to get my own plate. As I get a fork to get some bacon and eggs, I turn to look at her.

"It's not your fault, you need professional help and I'm just a kid. I know that you aren't completely over what happened with Dad, and I think you need therapy. It's not like you left me with nothing, I paid the bills with the money in my savings account and I get a little bit of money from my blog, though, it's not a lot."

We both take a seat at the table now just staring at each other and eating our food. The salty taste of bacon feels like heaven in my mouth.

"That savings account was meant for you, for college. How much money do you have left in it?"

"Not enough to pay for an average tuition at a private college or an average tuition at a public one. But, it's enough for what I need if I get scholarships, and I know that I can do that."

When I'm finished, I take my plate and scrape the crumbs into the garbage can so that the plate isn't hard to wash, and I put the wares in the sink. Kissing my mom's soft cheek, I smile.

"Good luck job hunting, I gotta go mommy, I love you."

I walk out of the kitchen and start my journey to school. Outside it is warm and sunny this morning, there's a slight breeze but it's comfortable. The sky's a pretty orange, pink, and yellow. With every step I take towards school, I look up at the sky and watch how the colors merge and twist.

The school building hallway is loud and crowded. As I walk through it, people begin pushing me around like a cart. Although it's unsettling, I keep seeing my mom's happy face as I walk towards my locker. I keep envisioning her hair up in a bun and the smile on her face as we talked.