Chapter 14

The mean man is in my room again, but this time, I'm ready

The mean man is in my room again, but this time, I'm ready. Last time, his gun really scared me but now I'll make sure he doesn't hurt Lissa. Mommy wants us to move because the bad man almost took Lissa but I'll keep her safe from now on. The scary man looks different this time but maybe I'm wrong. I can't tell anymore.

"Buttface!" I shout angrily at the man, my lips pulled into a smirk. Mommy said violence is never the answer, but if I don't beat him up, he'll hurt me and Lissa. I pointed the beebee gun at him, the one that I found in Daddy's room. I know that buttface has a real gun, but I don't want to shoot him like he shot me. All that I want to do is hurt him.

Buttface laughs like a villain at me, and he turns to look at me. The room isn't dark but I can't see his face, the mask is covering it. All I can see is his green eyes and his big belly. It kinda looks like the old pictures of Mommy when sissy and I were cooking in her belly. Lissa's hiding in the corner again and I need to distract him so he can't find her again.

"You didn't seem to learn your lesson, kid." The mean man hisses at me, it seems like he didn't learn his lesson either. I glare at him like mommy taught me and scoff like daddy does.

"And I told you that you're not supposed to be in my room. So, you didn't learn either!"

The man laughed at me! He's so rude and mean! So I cock the beebee gun back with one eyebrow raised, a smirk plastered on my face.

The meanie looks at my beebee gun and his face pales. He looks scared, like he might pee his pants any second and I laugh. I make my hand into a fist as I glare at him, getting very angry. Mommy always tries to calm me down when I'm like this but it's very hard. I'm like this a lot now. I'm always angry. When I'm not angry at the kids at school, I'm angry at my family, and I think I always will be. I'm like this even when I sleep now and it's so hard to control myself. I can't even tell if this is a dream or not right now.

"Do you need to use an adult diaper?" I ask mockingly with a fake look of concern. "Mommy keeps them for when she gets old and ugly."

"Kid put the gun down!" He tries to say calmly, but it sounds a bit too high pitched. I laugh louder, he sounds like a girl! "If you shoot that gun I'll kill your sister and you'll wake up your parents."

I don't want to put the gun down, he'll just hurt sissy if I put it down anyway. I remember what he did to her the last time! I refuse to trust him! Maybe if I shoot this he'll leave us alone forever. He'll be too scared to come back.

"Don't be scared, fatso, beebee guns don't hurt." I say darkly, then I aim towards his head and I inch my fingers towards the trigger. "You won't touch my sister ever again."

The guy glares at me in response. "That's a real gun." He sneers at me, and I glare right back at him. I look at the beebee gun, it does sort of look like the one he tried to shoot me with before. I could've gotten really hurt if he hadn't missed back then. I shake my head, he's just trying to scare me. It has a weird, black long thing attached to the barrel of it anyway, real guns don't look like that.

"Look kid, I'm just trying to find something that your mommy took from my cousin, Chase. It's not anything big, it's just a silver ring with the letters CS engraved on it."

That's mommy's ring, not his! Mommy said she took it from a bad guy and she wears it to remember how she trusted him and he betrayed her.

"You mean the bad guy necklace?" I ask, but already know the answer. Mommy loves that necklace! I'm not giving it to him, it's mommy's favorite and I wouldn't be able to give it to him even if I wanted to. Mommy leaves the necklace in a secret place and no one is allowed to touch it. I pull the trigger.

The man collapses to the ground, blood pouring out of his body. He doesn't move, he doesn't get up, his eyes are blurry like a fishes and his chest isn't moving up or down. The gun is real, it isn't a bee-bee gun. I don't know what to do so I just sit there and stare at his dead body.

I'm terrified, but I don't scream. No one wakes us and no one comes running. It wasn't loud, the thingy on the barrel is called a silencer, I think. My eyes are wide as I watch my hardwood floor flood with blood and I cry silently as I watch. I can't scream, I forget how.

If I killed someone, mommy would be very mad at me. Daddy is going to hate me. Am I going to be locked up in jail with all the rest of the bad guys?

I see black shoes walk in near my closet, they start to head towards me, but I don't run. They grab me, I don't struggle. They put a cold scratchy cloth on my mouth, I breathe in.

"Sorry mommy," I mumble and then everything goes dark.

*~~~~*

The scene changes rapidly and my sister is lying in a casket. I'm walking around the room and my family is crying as some priest invites my mom to stand up at the podium. She talks about how sweet and shy Lissa was. She talks about her in the past tense as if Lissa isn't alive.

Tears fall down my face and I shake my head as it dawns on me that this is a funeral. Irun towards the casket and I see my twin's face but she isn't looking at me, her eyes are frozen shut forever. I sob as I realize that I wasn't able to save her in time. She's dead... I couldn't help her. The man kidnapped her despite all of my best efforts and mom and dad didn't come in time to rescue us. While my older siblings were fast asleep, even mom and dad, Lissa and I were struggling to keep ourselves alive. I was too weak to do anything to help at all.

I grab onto Lissa's hand and the freezing temperature of her lifeless hand has me struggling to breathe in pure terror. Just why did it end up like this? Am I really that useless?

"Lissa..." I choke out her name like it's food lodged in my throat. "Please, I need you."

Despite all my best efforts she doesn't respond. Why did the only person who understood me best in this world have to leave me like this? I needed her and now I'm left broken and alone.

 Why did the only person who understood me best in this world have to leave me like this? I needed her and now I'm left broken and alone