Chapter six// The Lining is Silver

"You want to help?" Dad asks, not bothering to hide the extreme surprise in his voice.

The living room is warm and cozy thanks to the lit fire place and the scent of fresh apples lingering in the air.

"Yes," I say again. "You said that I should ask Andrew again to help but he's very busy right now with school and stuff."

"I don't know Lottie," he says, rubbing the back of his neck. "It's a little chaotic at city hall at the moment, I don't know if I want you in that environment."

"You think that the boys can handle it and I can't?" I ask defensively.

"It's not that I think you can't handle it..." He trails off, avoiding my eyes.

"Dad, I can see the dark circles under your eyes. Let me help," I beg.

Lately, he's been coming home from work looking drained and tired.

"You really want to?" He asks.

"I really want to," I confirm.

"I guess you can help Janelle at the front desk, but only if you promise to not leave the area until I come to get you," he says. "I mean it, I don't want you walking around with out me. Do you promise me?"

"I promise," I say.

"Alright, you can come with Dan after school next week," he says and I squeal.

"Thank you so much!" I throw my arms around him in a hug and he chuckles.

///

The whole week I wait eagerly for Monday

The whole week I wait eagerly for Monday. When I tell Andrew I'm actually going through with it he seems surprised but says nothing more on the subject.

Monday finally comes and I'm jittery and excited with anticipation the entire school day. I'm finally going to do something that matters. I'm finally not going to be treated like a child.

I barely even mind when Brooke talks about her party again all through out lunch and when I take the pop quiz in history I forget to write down the wrong answers. By time the last bell rings I'm nearly jumping out of my skin with excitement.

"Daniel," I shout to get his attention when I spot him standing on the school steps chatting with another girl.

At second glance I recognize the girl as Chelsea, Brooke's sister. Daniel looks up at my voice and waves at me. The two exchange a few more words before Chelsea leans in and kisses him on the cheek and walks away with a huge grin on her face.

"You ready to go?" I ask, walking down the steps towards him.

He nods his head and motions for me to lead the way.

"So Chelsea Wright, huh?" I tease him, lightly elbowing his arm.

"She invited me to Brooke's party," he informs me.