Chapter five// The Game Changer

"Go Andrew!" Half of the bleachers yell as he scores his fifth goal of soccer tryouts.

"Yeah Andrew," Brooke stands up and yells along with them while the rest of us clap. She gets really into these soccer practices, and this is the first one of this school year.

"He's pretty good," Daniel comments from his seat next to me, clapping for him as well.

"Yeah, he is," I agree, watching Andrew wink at a couple of girls sitting at the very bottom of the bleachers.

The chance of them getting hit by a soccer ball is high, but getting attention from Andrew, apparently, is worth it.

"I call bullshit," Ben speaks up from his seat one bench below us. "He's not good, everyone else trying out is just bad."

"Oh shut up, Rhee, like you could beat him," Brooke snaps.

She and Eliza are sitting on my left side while Daniel sits on my right at the very top of the bleachers. Heaven forbid anyone sit above us. Ben and two of his friends are sitting right in front of us. Jenny had to go to her tutor's house right after school so it's just us.

"Doll face," James, one of Ben's friends, speaks up. "Don't get your panties all in a bunch."

If looks could kill, James would already be six feet under.

"Wow, a sexist nick name to go with one of the most over used punch lines ever," Eliza scoffs, coming to Brooke's defense. "How long did it take you to come up with that one?"

"Probably almost as long as it took you to pluck your mustache this morning," Nick, Ben's other friend, fires back while I exchange a look with Ben. "Is that a five o'clock shadow?"

James laughs loudly and high fives Nick.

Eliza gasps, bringing her hand up to her upper lip to feel if there's anything actually there.

"Pull your head out of your ass and shut up," Brooke hisses.

"Alright guys, knock it off," I say, giving them all a scolding look.

"Why do we have to sit with your God awful friends?" Brooke whines, looking at them with disgust.

"Go Andy!" I stand up and cheer, ignoring the girls who are still licking their wounds.

Andrew just scored the last goal of the game so that means it's over.

He looks up at me and smiles and I shoot him a thumbs up.

"Andy? That's cute," one of the girls sitting at the bottom of the bleachers says to him.

"Uh yeah, but I like Andrew better. Andy is kind of a baby name," he replies, giving her a wide smile.

My lips part just a little bit and my eyebrows furrow.

"We're the awful ones?" Nick snickers. "You're not exactly a glass of sunshine!"

"Cup, you idiot! The expression is cup!" Eliza exclaims.

I shake it off when Daniel leans in close to me.

"Are they always like this?" Daniel asks.

"I can say it however I want, skirt!"

"Unfortunately, yes," I laugh.

The boys run over to the coach to talk about who made the team. Technically, everyone made the team, but the boys who didn't do as well today mostly spend the season sitting on the bench. 

"Sexist pig!"

"Self righteous bitch!"

"Enough!" Ben interrupts them.