Chapter seventeen// And straight on till morning

In the back of my mind I hear a consistent sound, like an engine or maybe it's just the echo of the city's sirens.

It feels like I am in a constant state of hysteria. Like the feeling you usually briefly get when something startles you or when you are completely out of breath. My heart is racing and my mind is in panic mode, refusing to rest. It just keeps running around in circles until it feels like it will never stop.

It's like there is something right under my nose that I need to know, or maybe something that I need to be doing. I can't figure it out, and that in itself is driving me mad. Everything is black and the only thing there is the distant sound.

After what feel like an eternity of being trapped in the darkness, I hear a distant voice.

"Do you think I hit her too hard? She should have woken up by now."

"Nah," says a second voice. "She'll be fine."

I try to come out of the darkness, to find the voices, but it's no use. I'm so frustrated that I want to scream, but I can't do it. I can't make the connection between my voice and my brain.

And then it happens. I remember how to use it and I make a noise, but it's nothing compared to the scream I want. It's more of a mumble of a sound of unrest, but it's something.

Distantly, I feel something on my cheek and then in my hair. I relax a little bit, coming to the conclusion that it is fingers. At least I know I'm not alone.

"She's never going to forgive me for this," voice number one talks again.

Voice number two doesn't respond for a very long time and I feel the frustration all over again. What are they talking about and why can't I wake up.

"Don't tell me you care about her?"

"No, I don't," voice number one responds quickly. "It's just my conscience."

I realize that it's beginning to be easier to concentrate on what their voices sound like. Voice number one is familiar, like maybe I've heard it before? And voice number two is deeper and more gruff. Definitely a man's voice.

"She's gorgeous. The girl." Voice number two.

I hear a sigh and then the first voice replies.

"Yeah, she is."

"Do you have a little crush on her?" Voice number two says. His tone is annoyingly teasing.

"No, Brad!" Voice number one snaps.

"A touchy subject?" Voice two snickers.

"She's not my type."

///

My eyelids flutter open. Once. Twice. Three times and they stay open. I cringe a little, my head pounding with a headache. I bring my hand up to the back of my head as I look around, my eyes squinting from the morning light pouring in through the window.

Slowly, everything that happened begins to come back to me and I realize that I'm laying on the backseat of a car.

The bottom half of me is on the right seat while my head and chest are on someone's lap on the left side, a denim like jacket spread across me to keep me warm. I look up and see that it's Daniel I'm laying on and he's asleep.