Chapter Five: We Sneak Like This...

During the next three months we managed to see each other behind everybody's back. We would meet in human communities. Dereck would drive to my college both days a week and we would eat in the cafeteria. During pack activities we would pretend that we were getting friendlier with each other. However, we still called each other names. I graduated in June with high honors. I passed my college classes with all A's too. My parents surprised me with a new car, after years of driving my dad's older-than-me truck. The pack was invited by the Alpha and Luna to celebrate with all the graduates that day.

When I got to the party around seven it was in full swing. There were mostly students because the parents didn't really want to party with high school and some middle school kids. I didn't really like them either, but Dereck sent me a message saying to go and meet him in the lake.

While walking to the lake I started thinking about all we have been through. Which isn't a lot. Even if we have been together for a few months if feels like we have been together forever. I was tired of hiding. I was tired of lying to my parents and friends. Now I was definitely going to hell for lying. It was like my parents said to me when little, "Liars don't go to Heaven."

When I got to the lake it was empty. I looked around, but nothing. The only thing I saw were many rocks that made the shape of...a heart? I was standing in the middle of it.

Suddenly I smelled Dereck's scent. Not his human scent, but his wolf. He came out from behind some bushes. I have seen him many times in his wolf form when the pack ran together. He was big. He was as tall as me and I was considered tall. He was majestic. His coat was midnight black like his hair. It shined in the moonlight. Even his forest green eyes stood out. Every step radiated authority out of him, and I couldn't help but bow to my knees.

"Don't bow. You are future Luna. You don't bow to anybody." He said sitting down on his behind.

"I can't help it. Even though you are my mate, you are also my future Alpha. You are to be respected." I said standing up.

"Well it doesn't matter... I called you out here to first say congratulations. You finally graduate to the real word." He said, "I am really proud of you. I took so many pictures of you in the graduation that I don't have any memory left. It was hard taking pictures without the people around you noticing."

I laughed. Dereck and his craziness. "Thank you. I was very happy to see you there." I hugged him and then scratched behind his ear. "You like that huh?"

"Oh yes. You can even scratch my belly if you want." He said lying down on his back.

How the heck did a beautiful, touching moment became to me scratching his belly?

"Another time Dereck. What is the second reason?"

He sat up and started to walk back to the bushes he came from, "I'll be back really quick. Stay here and don't move."

He came a few minutes later wearing only basketball shorts. He had both hands behind his back. "Remember that question I asked a long time ago when we had or first date?"

"Humm...You asked me so many questions that day. Refresh my memory." I said. He got closer that we were only inches apart. I had to look up to see his face and he had to look down. I was tall, but he passed me by a couple inches.

"You know what I'm talking about. The problem is that you haven't answered me. So I'll ask you again." He went down in one knee and from his back he had a bucket of rainbow roses and on the other hand he had a white small box. He gave them to me. I opened the white box and inside was a silver ring with a small emerald in the middle in the shape of a square.

"Before you say anything. This is not an engagement ring. I know that you are ready for that. You told me you want to finish college first and I'll wait for you to do that. That's why I want to give you this promise ring." He took the ring out of the box, "I promise to be the mate you want and need. I promise to make you smile and laugh in the good and bad times. I promise to never make you sad or cry...intentionally. I promise to provide for you anything you need even if it means I don't get to have anything. I promise to protect you from any harm, but more importantly I promise to show you every day that I love you will all my being and all my soul. Melody Monroe, will you be my mate?" he asked.

By now I was in full tear mode. I grabbed his face with both hands and pulled him down to kiss him, "Yes! I'll be your mate" He gave me the biggest smile ever. It was full of happiness and love. He took the ring and put it in my ring finger.

"I love you" he said.

"I love you more" I said.

----------------------

After a while, we sat on the deck with our feet in the water, talking about graduation and college. Dereck had brought some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, because that's all he knew to make. He even made the one I ate heart shaped. He was blushing when he gave it to me; he said that it came like that. Yeah right!

"We need to start telling people." I said after we were done eating.

"I know. I'm not going to tell my parents yet. If I tell them I'm pretty sure they would want to announce you as the new future Luna right away. I'm going to start with my best friends. I know they won't say anything. I'll command them to not say anything." He said, "I want you to be there with me when I tell them."

"Sure. I want to meet his girl-friend of yours. What was her name again? Was it Miranda?" I said not looking at him.

"Yes Miranda. Are you jealous?" he asked looking at me, but I keep moving my head.

"Why would I be jealous? I'm just curious. Can't I know my mate's best friends?" I asked finally looking at him trying not to blush.

"Yeah ok. Whatever you say gorgeous." He smirked.

"I'm going to tell my parents first then my friends."

"That's fine...Do I have to be worried about your parents?" he asked

"No. You should be worried about my friends. Especially Tatum."

"Well I'm ready. I'm ready for whatever struggle will come at us. As long as you are there with me I'm good to go."

"Then I'm ready too."