Official Shakur

With a promise like that l pulled myself stronger, so the next couple of months l handled my health just how Pac handled his own battle. We were in this duo format now, l felt like we got stronger after everything that happened. Tupac changed a lot after the shooting and now l felt like we were on a different level of connection. It wasn't just the couple feeling, our engagement was beyond a typical one. I felt Tupac closer to me now, he became way more involved in our relationship, l didn't feel like l needed to prove myself through for him to see that l'm grown. I guess what happened exposed him to a reality he didn't expect. None of us did, I don't even know how we got this far, but l do know that in no way l would have ever done it different. Getting shot was probably as traumatic as it is, but it was something that kept him alive and that's enough for me to make peace with the events. But Tupac wasn't about peace anymore. He was really angry about everything that happened, he kept pulling strings, asking questions, accusing left and right. Puff Daddy and Biggie Smalls were responsible for our shooting that night and he wasn't ready to let things go this way. He was enraged and he wanted vengeance. I just didn't want anything but see him free.

I'd visit Tupac daily while he was incarcerated and I was finally homeschooled. I dropped out of highschool because at this point my education was a mess anyway. I was two years held back, my friend Barbara who was younger than me, graduated that year and I was still so behind with everything. Until Afeni decided for me to be at home and get my diploma which l worked hard for despise the treatment and between visits at the penitentiary. I'd bring Tupac books and strength because I hated to see him down, caged in a cell knowing how he was such a free spirit, one that constantly needed to go out and be with people, get their energy and be the amazing person he was. But all he'd talk to me about sometimes were Diddy and Biggie and this Suge Knight I haven't heard of before. He told me he got an offer to be bailed out soon and all he had to do was sign with Death Row Records, do a couple of albums and he was free to go. Suge Knight was the only one who could pay his 1.5 million $ bail. I didn't know what to say, I didn't know who this Suge man was, but l trusted Tupac so I gave him a nod.

'You need to do what you have to do to get out of here, baby. I am done seeing you suffering for nothing. Please, take the offer... I'm sure this Death Row label will know how to value your talent.' I told him one day, holding his hands as we faced each other in the visiting room. He leaned back and sighed thinking. 'What are you concerned about?' l asked rubbing his bruised knuckles. He liked to take his anger out on walls or anything solid around him. He had so much energy and he couldn't even express it in lyrics anymore. His inspiration was stuck, so he started writing stories and screenplays. One of them was called Live to Tell, which is the reason I chose this documentary to be called this way.

'l'm just being cautious you know. I got niggas telling me shit about those punk asses. Then Suge is shady as fuck, I don't trust the nigga but do I got a chance? Guess not... We gon have to move out, babe. If l do this, we gon move on to the west and we gon start this war we got.' He looked at me with his eyes missing that glow. I sighed.