//chapter two//

It had been a week. One whole week of seven days, one hundred and sixty eight hours, or ten thousand and eighty minutes. Patrick didn't think he would have to wait that long for Pete to call him, but then again he kind of thought it would be longer. He really hoped Pete's 'fucking awful week' hadn't continued into this week, because Patrick didn't want to see him if he was going to be that weird again. It wasn't like Patrick thought it was Pete's fault that his week wasn't good, but he felt like he could have tried harder to not be so weird.

To be honest, though, the only real issue Patrick had with his 'meeting' with Pete was how late he was. He said it was ten minutes, which it was, but it felt like years to Patrick. He was quite a punctual person, so people who weren't tended to annoy him. There must have been something about Pete that balanced it out because, if it was only based on that, there would be no way Patrick would have given him his number.

After one whole week of waiting, though Patrick would never admit it, Pete called. Patrick wasn't actually sure if he was going to ask him out, or if he was going to apologise for not calling sooner. It didn't really matter, he wasn't all that bothered how it went.

"Hi, Patrick," said Pete, stuttering slightly, "sorry, I took so long to call, my week didn't get much better."
Patrick sighed, "That's okay, do you want to hang at my house. We could get a pizza and watch a movie or... something?"
"Pizza?"
"Yes, I can get us a pizza. I mean, if you want to, I don't want to force you into my house, that would be weird, and rude."
"I'd like to come. Text me your address and I'll come over!"
"Cool, I'll do that. See you."

Patrick was slightly surprised how positive Pete sounded if his week hadn't gotten any better. It must have been the mention of pizza, and he thought that was kind of cute. Pete was kind of cute, actually, but Patrick wouldn't admit that out loud, especially not while he was there. He felt like Pete probably knew that, it really would be a shame if he didn't.

Even though he knew his house was tidy, Patrick searched all of the rooms, making sure there was nothing out of place. He didn't believe for a second that it would bother Pete in the slightest, but it would definitely bother him. Patrick was punctual, tidy and organised. He would probably be perfect boyfriend material if people could get past how he looked. It wasn't just that he wasn't considered attractive by most people, he was also really short, and kind of chubby.

When Pete got to Patrick's house, he looked far more confident, and less single. Patrick was certain he was single, though, it would be kind of awkward if he wasn't. He liked seeing Pete looking more confident, it made him more attractive. Patrick was also now more than sure that Pete didn't realise how good looking he was, which was just as much of a shame as Patrick had thought it would be.

"Hi, come in, come in," Patrick said, opening the door, making it obvious to Pete that he was welcome.

Pete came into the house without saying anything. Patrick normally would have been offended, or at least asked why, but he felt like it was best to not ask questions with Pete. It wasn't that he was scared of him, because he wasn't at all, he was just wary of making him upset or angry.

"I'm sorry about the mess--" Patrick began saying before Pete interrupted him.
"Don't," he said, "don't apologise for 'the mess' because there isn't any okay? It's not cute to apologise for everything, Patrick, and it doesn't impress me, or whatever you're trying to do, it's fucking dumb. Your house is great, thanks for inviting me over."

Patrick was caught off guard by that, and found himself yelling back at Pete, even though he was subconsciously telling himself not to.

"You think I'm trying to impress you?" Patrick asked, audibly angry, but really just upset, "Fuck that, Pete, I don't even know you! Just because you have shit standards for your house doesn't mean everyone else does!"

Pete burst into tears, not dislike the way a toddler would. It made Patrick feel terrible, but he was just making it clear to him that he wasn't trying to impress him, or be cute. He wanted to comfort him, but he was concerned that would only make it worse.

"He's dead, Patrick!" Pete cried, making Patrick even more concerned about what was really the matter with him, "They told me I'd get over it, but I fucking can't! I went to Frank because he's the only person I have left, but I hate him so much!"

Patrick knew someone called Frank, they worked together and he was the one who'd told him about this date. He never expected Frank to know anyone like Pete, or to be hated by anyone like Pete. It was strange, but he nodded silently and kept listening, since he knew Pete had a lot more to say.

"Frank told me he knew someone who I could talk to who was nice, and pretty cute," said Pete, continuing his rant with a much calmer voice, "I only went along with it because I thought it would help, Patrick. It didn't, though, because it's only making it worse. He's still fucking dead, and it feels like I thought going on some stupid date would bring him back!"

Patrick knew Pete would be expecting him to say something now. He didn't know what to say, though. Someone Pete had obviously loved was now dead, and Frank told him a blind date was a good idea. Patrick couldn't have agreed less, but that wasn't important now. Pete wanted to be okay, and Patrick really wanted to help him.

"Patrick... Please say something..." Pete said, breathing heavily, "I'm sorry that I'm so fucked up, I can't really help it right now."
"I know you can't," Patrick said, avoiding eye contact with Pete until he thought of something meaningful to say, "I know you can't help it right now, but I can help you, right? I mean, if we hang out a lot we can be friends, and friends help friends."
Pete nodded, "I'd like that a lot. I know I'm acting like an asshole, it's because I am one of I'm honest, but you're still being nice. Why?"

Patrick didn't know. He just wasn't a mean person, he had no reason to be. Pete wasn't an asshole, from what he'd seen at least, he was just trying to deal with a lot, and not doing too well. That didn't matter now, though, they were going to be friends, best friends. It wasn't really the reason why Patrick had gone on a date, but he felt like just being friends was far more important to Pete right now. That was probably the reason why.