Chapter IV: Nugs and Hugs

Their quest was a simple one, done many times before, get in and seal the rift. Only this time, by Leliana's sources, this rift was larger than those often encountered on their journeys across Thedas. Cassandra had advised against taking a slightly larger party than the usual and so, Artemis stood in front of her band of merry men, deciding who would tag along.

Cole needs to get out of Skyhold, maybe this journey will help him realise his worth. Sera is probably itching to shoot something so she can come along also. One mage should be enough, Dorian, because Vivienne more than likely has business to attend to. That leaves Sera and I holding the rear, Dorian off to the side and Cole by himself on the front line. Better bring Bull along so Cole has some company, he and Blackwall aren't as close as he and Bull.

"Alright everybody, listen up. Cole and Bull you will be my front line fighters, get all up in their faces like I know you do. Dorian you're my man with the magic touch, and Sera, you and I will take the high ground. The rest of you have the day off, but don't get used to it." Artemis chuckled to herself, her comment earning her grins from most of those in front of her. "Any objections?"

Her inner circle all gave responses of agreement in her choices, before disbanding to gather armour and weapons, or to find some way to occupy their free day. Artemis jogged up to her quarters and made her way to the chest where she kept her armour. She pulled on her brown leggings and clasped her deep green, ornate metal bodice. Pulling on her tall leather boots as she went, she walked out to the balcony and looked up at the sky. While it was cold, running across the land and engaging in battles would keep their body temperature high enough to negate the chilly winter air. However, there were heavy, grey clouds hanging around lazily which could bring a falling of snow. She returned inside and grabbed her long hooded cloak from the chest before slamming it closed.

She made her way down to the undercroft to collect her repaired bow from Harritt and Dagna. She ran her hands along the newly polished metal, following its graceful curves and newly wrapped grip. "Thanks you two, it looks just as beautiful as ever. Almost as good as the day it was crafted, with this shine."

"Do you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to work with your bow?" Harritt had a slight hint of frustration in his voice as he walked towards Artemis. "The fact that it has two seperate pieces making up each limb of the bow makes for twice the work. And two different types of metal adds even more time."

Dagna pushed in front of the annoyed Harritt. "But look at how intricate and unique the bow is. It's breathtaking. Next time, Inquisitor, leave it with me and you will never hear any grumbling about the hard work it takes to work on a piece of this calibre." She smiled brightly up at the elf, before realising something and hurrying off to her workbench. "Come over here a sec if you don't mind."

Artemis walked over to the dwarf just as she turned around holding something made of a dark metal. Dagna held it out for her to take, and she turned it around in her hand, admiring the handiwork. It was a black guard for her forearm to protect against the fletching of her arrows. It had two black leather buckles to fasten it and on the plating there were delicately engraved dwarven runes. She brushed her fingers over the carvings as Dagna spoke. "When you brought your bow in the other day I couldn't help but notice the poor shape your guard was in so I worked on another one for you while Harritt struggled with the weapon." She chuckled in her usual chipper manner. "I would have engraved something elven but unfortunately I'm not too good with your language. I hope you don't mind the runes."

Artemis patted her on the shoulder comfortingly. "Not at all Dagna, this is beautiful. Thank you so much."

"Anything for you, Inquisitor," Dagna called as Artemis left the room to finish preparing for the long trek ahead. She went to check on Master Dennet and the mounts, making sure they were properly fed and watered, as well as setting up for a special mount for their qunari who was rarely found atop one. While at the stables, Artemis' mind wandered to Cole and she grew concerned about his strange behaviour of late. She decided she would ask Varric to come along on the trip also, to keep and eye out for Cole in case he needed a close friend.