Chapter VII: A Demon Named Lust

“Wake, my child,” a soothing voice whispered. “You have been delivered from harm's way, but now it is time to rise.” The soft voice drifted to the pointed ears of the dalish Inquisitor and she opened her eyes to see whom the voice belonged to.

Her vision was tinted with a slightly sickening green hue and the air she was breathing somehow seemed stale. The ground she was laying on was moist and spongy and altogether rather unpleasant. Artemis sprang to her feet hastily and whirled around trying to find the source of the calming voice, hoping it would have some answers for her. She laid her eyes upon another elf, dalish, tall and still covered in his blood writing. The markings, unlike those delicate swirling lines of her vallaslin that Solas had removed, were harsh and angular which made the male elf appear stern and cruel. But Artemis knew this elf, and knew that he was the farthest thing from cruel.

“Keeper Zathralen? I don't understand.” Artemis’ voice was quiet, confused and desperate. She reached out a hand towards the elf, thinking it a mad vision and expecting the touch to simply pass through. However when her hand came to the male's shoulder it did not fall through, instead it rested there and felt a living warmth that the air around her was devoid of. “Why are you here? Weren't you taking the clan to the Dales?”

Zathralen raised his hand to silence her before saying gently, “hush child. Don't you know where you are?”

Artemis lowered her head in resignation. “I had suspected I had somehow fallen through to the Fade. But how? Are the others here? How do I leave?” Questions whizzed around inside her head scrambling over each other for priority. Then something caught her attention. She raised her gaze to her Keeper, and a lump formed in her throat. “Keeper, you didn't… You were never known for your Fade walking… Keeper Zathralen, please, tell me I'm wrong.”

Zathralen smiled at her. “You always were a quick learner, my dear Artemis. I have left the clan and the mortal land under their feet. The aravels were attacked and many a brave elf gave their life so the rest could make it home to the Dales, their new Keeper included.”

Artemis could not believe what she was being told. Zathralen was not an old man even by human standards. Yet he was wise beyond his years and had always protected the clan. Hot tears stung her eyes, and the stifling air suddenly became thicker than it seemed. How could he have died when he had so much more to give?

A warm hand touched her cheek and wiped away her tears. “Do not fret, my child. The clan did not lose their First. It is now Haharel who guides them through the darkness. And my trust, I place it wholly with him, as should you.”

Artemis bowed deeply, “yes, Keeper.”

Zathralen tipped her head upwards and smiled warmly at her. “I am no longer your Keeper, child.”

Artemis threw her arms around the tall man, hugging him tightly, a specialty she reserved for only her closest friends. “Yes, father.”

Zathralen gently pushed her away, breaking off the embrace. “It is time, little one. Your companions were pulled into the Fade alongside you. You must find them and defeat the evil at the heart of this chill. They are waiting urgently for your return, one in particular, I must say.” He chuckled softly.

“How?”

“Follow your heart. That is all I can say, unfortunately. Be strong, young child, and know I will always be at your side.” With that, Zathralen burst into a white mist and slowly dissipated.

Seeing this brought on a fresh set of tears and Artemis scolded herself for being so weak. She could not stop the tears from falling however and started to wander aimlessly in a desperate attempt to find her companions. I wonder how Cole is handling being in the Fade. He mentioned how glad he was that he wasn't with us when it first happened.