XIII

We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone. ~Ronald Reagan

Luke's POV

I walked into the office building and before I reached the elevator, I heard someone call my name. I turned to see the woman at the desk. "Your father wants you."

I let out a sigh as I took the long ride up the elevator to the floor where my father's office was. As I walked down the hallway and through the door, I could see the older version of myself sitting at the table. "Hello Luke." My father said. "Take a seat."

I did as he said and I watched him toss several printouts of articles, magazines, and other forms of social gossip, all with me smack-dab in the center of every article. I went wide eyed, my name was everywhere. I was a regular among these crowds.

"What is all of this.." I muttered as I picked some up and looked through them. "I knew there were a few articles but - "

"Oh no there's more, Luke." My father scoffed as he began throwing more and more on the desk. "Do you care to explain all of this to me?"

"I've just been doing work for the school's Liberal Arts programs. I didn't think that the whole world needed to know about it." I shook my head slowly.

"Luke, I allowed you to have those painting hung up, to commission those artists. I even allowed your little idea of allowing them as interns to go through. But I do not want to see all this garbage! Walking around with a girl with cotton-candy colored hair.." My father scoffed. "This one literally looks like he dumped a bucket of paint on his head! I don't want you hanging out around people like this, do you understand?"

"Y-Yes sir." I nodded my head.

"I don't want to see more articles like this. If you are not with them professionally, I don't want you to be with them at all." My father spoke. "Now get the hell out of my office." I stood up and walked out of the room. Keeping my head down as I ran a hand down my face. I walked into my office where Calum was sitting.

"Are you going to go visit classrooms?" Calum asked.

I ignored him and walked into my office before sitting in the chair and letting my head lay against the wood. Calum followed me inside and watched me from the doorway. "What's the matter, Luke? What did your father say to you?"

"I just was thinking how much fun I was having with all of the art students." I sighed as I sat up. "And now if it's not for business I'm supposed to stay far away from them."

"Well.." Calum said as he set down a basket full of goodies on my desk. "They left this for you before you got here. I said they could wait, but they left before I could give it to you."

"Who was it?" I asked.

"I don't know, they were pretty bold looking characters." Calum said. "There's a tag on it."

I picked it up and read it.

Thanks for the opportunity Luke!

~Larra, Esther and Kodi. (Along with the whole family but we paid for it so they don't get their name signed.)

I laughed lightly as I looked at the basket filled with all sorts of goodies. "Maybe it would be good for you to make some friends." Calum said. "After all, all you really have for a friend is me. Don't you think it would be good to..Get out there."

I agreed, but my father would never permit that. "I think I'm going to go visit some classrooms. I should be back later in the day." I stood up and could see the smile on Calum's face. I walked out of the building and got in my car. When I drove up to the school, I could see a shocking discovery.