The Ugly Duckling

"Who am I kidding, I don't belong here." I was talking to myself while hiding in the bathroom of CHICO's, a teen club in West LA. The walls were a forest green and the mirror was no mirror but you could see your reflection. I shook my head at myself. What was I doing here? No guy round here would ever double take at a FAT girl, especially like me. Everything about me screamed "insecure", from the oversized purple sweater and the boot-cut jeans I was wearing to my long hair that was always pulled back into an boring ponytail. I was clearly not one to make someone do a double take. Why did I ever let Tara talk be into this! Tears started to silently fall down my chubby cheeks but I quickly dried them up as the bathroom door opened. In came T.C. Morts High (A/N I MADE THE CLUB & SCHOOL NAMES UP, LAME I KNOW BUT BARE WITH A REAL NIGGA! Lol) "basdest bitches" Tayler and Ashley who looked at me then at each other then cracked laughing killing the awkward silence, which then caused me to reluctantly leave my safe place.

Back in the club, I searched for Tara, my bestfriend. In the midst of scavenger hunt some guy bumped into me then said "watch where you going fat ass" then walked away laughing. I dropped my head as I continued my search.

When I finally found her she was ducked off in a dark corner dancing with her boyfriend, Ricky, who reeked of weed. Ew. "Im ready to bounce, Bubbles." I told her truthfully. I had no reason to be here. She told me to calm my tits and stop being a party pooper. I told her that she could either come on or find her a ride home. She rolled her eyes and turned around kissing Ricky all in the mouth then started on her way to the exit which had served as the entrance when we hit there.

I tried to make my way to the exit as quickly as possible but people kept bumping into me and calling me names like it was my fault. One guy bumped me so hard I fell on the ground. I tried to get up fast without causing a scene but someone pushed me down again causing everyone to now look at me and laugh. A few of them taking pictures. To my surprise a hand extended from the crowd. When I looked up to pair the hand with the face, I was taken back to see Morts H.S. Varsity quarterback trying to help me up. Everyone got quiet and went back to what they were doing. He followed me outside making sure I got out the club alive. He said "You're welcome" and walked back in. I was so stunned all I could do was nod my head with a opened mouth. Wow. He saved me!

When I got to my all black 2013 Lexus GX Tara was standing there with an attitude. "What was that about, chubbs?" I arched an brow and rolled my eyes. Did this trick just call me "chubbs"? Tuh, what a bestfriend I have.

On the way home Tara didn't say anything. But when I got home she hugged me tight and kissed my cheek. I think she saw the tears rolling down my face. "Stop crying, Leigh(Lee). I was wrong and I apologize. I was just mad because I wasn't ready to go. You are beautiful, Lei. And don't keep letting people hurt you! You're human just like us, girl. Act like it!" She was always there to pick up the pieces. With that she got out and headed to her door. I drove off.

I happened to be listening to the radio and Christina Aguilera's Beautiful filled the speakers. The lyrics brought tears to my eyes.

"Every day is so wonderful Then suddenly it's hard to breathe. Now and then I get insecure From all the pain, I'm so ashamed.

I am beautiful no matter what they say. Words can't bring me down. I am beautiful in every single way. Yes, words can't bring me down... Oh no. So don't you bring me down today.

To all your friends you're delirious, So consumed in all your doom. Trying hard to fill the emptiness. The pieces gone, left the puzzle undone. is that the way it is?

You are beautiful no matter what they say Words can't bring you down....oh no You are beautiful in every single way Yes, words can't bring you down, oh, no So don't you bring me down today..."

Listening to that song made me promise myself that I would do something about my problem. After all, Good Things Only Come To Those Who Get Off The Lazy Asses And Get It!