Six; Ariana

Some animals are cunning and evil-disposed, as the fox; others, as the dog, are fierce, friendly, and fawning. Some are gentle and easily tamed, as the elephant; some are susceptible of shame, and watchful, as the goose. Some are jealous and fond of ornament, as the peacock. ~Aristotle

Michael's POV

I sat with Calum on couch until I jumped when I heard a car door slam. "Dammit, come on, get upstairs." I pushed Calum off of the couch. 

"M-Michael!" Calum huffed. 

"No, Clarissa is coming back and I don't want her to see you." I said as I pushed Calum back up the stairs. 

"Who is Clarissa anyways?" Calum asked as we walked up the stairs. 

"She's my girlfriend." I replied and Calum went wide eyed.

"And-And she..Hits you?" Calum asked. "That's not.."

"I know it's not right, Cal, but I love her and I don't want to think about losing her. It was my fault anyways." I sighed as I opened the door for Calum.

"But Michael you can't let her treat you that way!" Calum huffed.

"I know, but now I really have to get going to work, or I'm going to be late." I said. "Do not go near Clarissa, okay? You don't want to make too much noise or be seen by her. It will blow everything out of the water and she'll flip out and probably call the police." 

"Why can't I go with you to work?" Calum huffed.

"For several reasons, I can't get you out of the apartment without Clarissa seeing." I sighed. "And a lot of the people who come in will recognize you if they see you. But," I paused. "If something happens, just keep going until you reach Red Winter's Casino. Do you know where that is? Is right near where you fight." 

Calum nodded. "I know where it is." 

"But do not go there unless Clarissa sees you, and don't get yourself caught just because you could go to the casino. I want you to stay here, do you understand, Calum?" I asked. Calum nodded his head. 

"Michael!?" I heard Clarissa yell and I watched Calum's ears drop.

"It'll be okay, just stay here." I whispered.

"Michael get down here, right now!" Clarissa shouted from the door of the apartment. I bit down on my lip and began to walk away from the door.

"M-Mikey.." Calum mumbled.

"No, just sh, I'll be back later." I said quietly and shut the door before walking down the stairs.

"Michael Clifford do not make me go up there!" Clarissa said and I saw her look up the flight of stairs. Her anger faded slightly. "Don't you have to be to work right now?" 

"That's where I'm going, Clarissa." I said. "I'm just running a little late." 

"Well hurry up! We can't afford for you to be fired any time soon." Clarissa sighed. "Have a good walk, Michael." 

"Night Clar." I said as I opened the door, I looked back to her and could see her fold her arms and look down at the floor. "I love you." 

"Yeah, love you too. Night Michael." Clarissa said. I walked out of the apartment and let out a sigh. I truly felt like she was lying a little bit, we had grown so far apart in the time that we had grown into adults. It made me feel sick, to think that I would eventually have to say goodbye. At this point I believe that it would never work itself out. After all, Clarissa did hit me, but that was the first time it had ever happened. And I never hit her, so I was sure that it could work itself out. At least I actually got her to say she loved me, she usually ignored me. Something told me she felt guilty about what had happened.