Chapter Two

I gaze expressionless into the water stained mirror. My once brown hair now seemed a raw umber. My eyes, dreary from sleep, looked aimlessly up and down my body. I looked exhausted. I breathed in deeply and closed my eyes. I was sick of it.

I was sick of the same. I wanted the new. I wanted something else- something more. I expected more, wanted more, but more would never come. What even was more? Whatever it was, it didn't exist here and it doesn't exist now. Wherever it is, I won't find it. I laughed. Not in Everlynn anyways.

I've lived here my whole life, in the quaint town of WolvenRidge. It's a little rustic village near The Cliff, a descent into the mermaid infested waters. Granny always told me to never go near The Cliff and I've never done so. It seems strange really. I've been concealed from the real world ever since I was born. I never really knew why. I've never really understood the idea of fairy tales, which are common here. You either get one, or you don't.

Of course, in school though, I've heard of the classics. Like Alice in Wonderland. I remember it like the back of my hand. Once a little girl named Alice was wondering in the woods, until she came upon a little rabbit hole. Silly Alice. She thought she could fit. I giggled a bit. Maybe a bit too childishly. These stories were said to be real once. That they actually happened. Maybe they did, or maybe I'm crazy.

I've always wondered if I'd get a fairytale. If I'd be a fairytale. A story all about me. The thought was soon interrupted by Granny walking into my room. She walked to the edge of my bed, like she always does, and sat down with groan. Her white wispy hair was pulled back into a bun like it always is. Her wrinkly hands were sitting politely in her lap as her almond shaped eyes gleamed. They were a pasty blue. Her eyes almost seemed faded, as if they were once bright with exuberance. Her lips formed a pout that was directed towards me. She took a deep breath and lifted her finger.

"I was not once a little girl. I was never little, nor a girl. I was a woman. A woman for whose etiquette was the best. I expect the same from you."

At first I was confused. Then I understood. "Rules are to be followed under every circumstance. I have found that you have broken one. Now I would have gotten very angry under the circumstances that-" she continued to blabber on about my wrongdoing as I stood there; my arms crossed. "Now pick it up." Granny gestured to the floor.

My bright red velvet cape lay stretched across my feet. I declined her request. Her face hardened. "Now."

I leaned over to pick it up. It's velvet fabric felt soft between my fingers. I clenched it in my fist. I stood up slowly. Granny's face retorted back to it's original state when I had fully straightened out. Her lip twitched a bit. "Now put it on." Her voice now seemed soft, but stern. Her faded eyes seemed lighter now as if they'd taken power over me. I stood still. "Put it on." She looked agitated. Her lip began to twitch again.

I wrapped the hood around my head and tied it on. I almost felt as if a surge of something went through me as I tied the ribbon together, but it instantly disappeared. I looked down at my feet. Granny smiled. Her wide lips stretched across her round wrinkled face. "That's better," she said, peering over her glasses. Her almond shaped eyes returned to their original color.

She stood up, walked to the door, and turned. "Supper's in five minutes, Red," she said and smiled as she left the room. I could feel my lip quiver. The heat from my cheeks were burning my face. I could taste the salt from my tears. Her words replay in my mind. Supper's in five minutes, Red. No. No it's not, I think as I tear the hood from my neck.