Chapter Three

I woke to the moon. It was aligned perfectly with my window. I motioned to take the blanket off of me, but found it was on the floor. Nightmares. I got them constantly. I stood from my bed and walked to mirror. My eyes were shining brightly in the light. I turned towards the window. The clouds were covering most of it, but I could make out the faint outline of the moon.

I tried to keep my mind off it, but the thought always crept up in me. Why am I concealed from everything? Why am I treated differently from everyone? I felt like crying again, but no tears came. Nothing felt real. Nothing made sense. I felt at that moment as if this were a dream. It wasn't.

I looked up at the moon once more. A perfect circle that illuminated my room. I closed my eyes. I asked myself a lot of things then. Why is Granny a nutcase? What are fairy tales? Are they... Real? I swallowed hard. I felt dizzy. The clouds began to part. The light surround me in a beam of white. I looked at my bed where my bright red cape lay. I wasn't wearing it. What would happen? What would Granny do- my thoughts stopped mid sentence. I didn't care. Not anymore. I looked at the window again.

My vision became blurry, but I swear I could see a glint of silver in my eyes as the moon escaped from my sight.

***

I awoke on the floor. My mouth tasted strange. Salty. I stood up slowly; my limbs shaking. I somehow made my way to the mirror. I opened my mouth to look inside.

I wish I hadn't.

Blood covered my teeth like paint. I resisted the urge to gag. I covered my mouth and ran to the bathroom. Granny was sitting beside the table, knitting, and luckily she didn't notice me. I opened the handle to the bathroom. It was cold, as if no one had ever used it before. I leaned over the toilet on the tile flooring and watched as my body disgorged blood. I wiped away the red from my mouth with my sleeve. I stood up. I dared to not look down.

But I did, and I wished the same thing when I looked in the mirror.

A finger. It was a blood covered finger. My limbs faltered and I hit the tile. I could feel my limbs shaking in a tremulous pattern. My breaths shortened as I gasped for air. My chest tightened. I crawled towards the sink and tried to stand.

The door suddenly shot open and nailed me in the head.