Chapter 14: Indigestion

Standing and cataloging the changes to his condo gave Frank a sense of accomplishment. His bedroom bureau had been rearranged and Dean's folding clothes put away. The crap which used to take up space in the closet had been replaced with fashionable suits. Five framed photos adorned his least favorite wall: Dean as a small child on his mother's lap in a new classy wood frame, Dean in his twenties with his mother, Dean's boxing picture, the recent group photo of his favorite people from the party here, and the photo of Dean holding him protectively in the lounger. Admittedly the last one was his favorite. Frank chose a sexy sleek ebony frame for it, as modern and stylish as Dean. The photo of him, Dean and Missus Smith joined the other truly precious pictures in his special shelf.

Next to his special photo shelf, a shelf which before had housed some paperbacks, held a few of Dean's special mementos. Two small elephant figurines and a framed photo of his parents on their wedding day stood proudly in the space.

"I found 'em!" Dean exclaimed triumphantly as he entered. His new roommate burst into the den victoriously holding a cardboard box. "Had to clean out all my cabinets to find the rest, but I found 'em. I put most of the junk out on the corner. It disappeared before my cab arrived."

Frank wanted to suggest the ratty old sofa go out next but he held his tongue. It was a decision Dean should make on his own.

"Check it out, this one is my favorite." Dean held in his palm a small brass elephant with tiny insets of colored blown glass. When the glass caught the light it glowed. "It's from India, handmade. Isn't it awesome?"

"Very cool. Are there more elephants?" Frank asked, peering into the box.

"I kind have a thing about them," Dean admitted guiltily. "When I was a kid I used to beg to go to the zoo to see the elephants. Mom always took me for my birthday and sometimes just because she felt like it. And she still gives me an elephant every year on my birthday."

A large collection of elephants rapidly made their way from Dean's box to the shelf. From kid toys to art from India, Dean seemed to have it all. An entire herd crowded the shelf by the time he emptied his box.

"It looks like you need two shelves," Frank observed. "You know what, use as much space as you need. Stack the books in the corner and we'll figure out what to do with them later."

One hand on a set of books in the next shelf, Dean peered worriedly at him. "You're sure? I don't want you to feel like I'm taking over. This is your place."

"Our place," Frank corrected. "I want you to feel at home. You should be able to do whatever you want. Do we need to make room for your favorite furniture? While you were gone I cleaned out half the drawers in my bureau and put away your folding clothes."

"Really?" Dean whispered.

"Have I ever lied to you?" Frank demanded.

"No, I mean..." Dean paused, his hand dropping away from the books. "You're being old-fashioned again, aren't you?"

"Very." Frank stepped closer so he could press his hand against Dean's cheek, light afternoon stubble pricking his palm. "I want you this to be your home. I want you to feel so comfortable here you'll never dream of leaving."

"I love it when you're old-fashioned," Dean panted. He sounded the same as Frank after trying to run up five flights of stairs.

After a sweet kiss Frank released his lover. "Go on, make yourself at home."

Dean required a gentle shove at the bookcase before he went back to work. Flopping down on his couch Frank watched with a growing sense of security as Dean moved paperbacks out of the way.