Chapter 32: When The Wall Falls

"John is as bad as you are," Dean accused as they headed home from the gym. "I swear, I think he asked four of my workout buddies their entire life stories. Then he wanted to know if any of them were dating and if not, why not."

"He runs his own dating service," Frank admitted. "I wish he'd charge for it, we'd be millionaires by now. Oh, I should warn you, I'm going with him to Steven's Friday night to see if we can hook up Bald Biker."

"Why did I know this was coming?" Dean groaned. "No wonder John sounded disappointed none of the single guys he met tonight were gay."

"Yep, that would be why." Shaking his head, Frank shrugged. "He always feels sorry for the guys who hit on him. He doesn't get it from me. Maybe because I'm a jerk."

"Now, Baby," Dean started to argue.

"No, it's all right. Really." Frank shot him a grin. "I understand it now. I was a shaggy haired whiskey slamming jerk when we first met. And you still talked to me, gave me a chance not to be a jerk to you. Fate?"

"More like, you were 'the' guy." Dean elbowed him gently in the side. "Are we being all mushy tonight? Because if we are I might have a little surprise for you."

"I already bought some kitty notepads."

"Really?" Dean looked crestfallen, his hopes crushed.

Shit. "No, not really. I was kidding. Why are you holding back on kitty notepads?"

"After what our cab driver said when he bought them for his wife's birthday, I was kind of waiting." With a sly chuckle, Dean peered at him from the corner of those sparkling green eyes.

Frank had to run the numbers to figure this one out. Mike the Cabbie. Kitty calendars and notepads. Buys for his wife. Notepads for her birthday and the best sex he had all year.

"Waiting for a dull night?" Frank demanded with a laugh. "They'll be all nasty and dusty by then. You'd better give them to me tonight."

"Yeah okay. I guess I'd better." Dean grinned at him. "You know, for a whiskey slamming jerk, you're a pretty nice guy."

"Are we still talking kitty notepads?" Please? Frank begged silently.

"About the moms, what you're trying to do for John's mom and mine. Plus with a stranger going with us Mom will never refuse to do whatever test this doctor wants."

Frank received a warm pat on the back, higher than any praise. "It should work. My plans usually do."

"I noticed you played the 'my mom isn't here' card twice." Dean's voice went soft, full of sympathy. The hand held his shoulder firmly, not hard, just enough.

Crap. Dean was not supposed to notice. John was so excited he finally took action with Missus W it was doubtful his buddy would say anything later, if John had noticed at all.

"Yeah. So?"

"Can you tell me when she's coming back?" Dean walked closer, their sides touching, the hand sliding across Frank's back to wrap around and hold him by the far shoulder as if Dean feared he might fall or try to run.

Thinking about his parents this way caused his gaze to drop to the ground. Frank would give anything for a rock to kick. He nodded. His next words came out sounding strangled as he forced them through his tight throat.

"They're not."

"I'm tempted to ask the big 'w' question you hate," Dean whispered.

Shaking his head, Frank forced his eyes up. "Don't."