Chapter 15: Frank's Heart

"Hello dears!"

Frank's eyes flew open at the sound of the beloved voice. She stood in the doorway with her arms wide open, a huge floppy white hat on her head, red sweater draped over her shoulders despite the heat outside, and a large red bag hung from one shoulder.

With a beaming smile Dean rushed to her, gathering her in his arms to twirl around, her toes skimming the ground. It was clear they were not merely related, they adored each other. As it should be.

"How many of the baby books did you bring?" Dean asked as he set her on her feet.

"Three," she replied to Frank's delight. "It was all I could carry, dear."

"If you need more call me, I'll drop by your apartment after work and pick up whatever you want," he offered. "And I'll take all of them home for you."

She gave him a pat on his cheek with a smile. "That's my boy."

Missus Smith's gaze landed on Frank and he felt instantly ashamed she should see him like this. Then a wide grin, so like Dean's, spread.

"I am so happy you wanted me to visit," she squealed. Frank could imagine Dean's mother in her teens talking to one of her girlfriends in the same voice. "I brought the first three years."

"Please don't start until I leave," Dean begged.

"How soon, dear?" Missus Smith pulled both visitor's chairs beside Frank's bed. She deposited her red bag in one before sitting in the other. "I don't know how long I can hold off Frank." She beamed at him as she removed her hat. One hand patted down her hair in the back.

"After he signs some paperwork," Dean declared with a frown. "I may have to go hunt it down, they're taking forever." He wheeled around to face Frank. "Do you mind? Can I leave Mom here and go find what happened to those forms? It doesn't feel right leaving until you sign them."

"Go." Frank gazed happily at Missus Smith. "We'll be fine, right, Missus Smith?"

"Lily, dear," she chided, patting his hand. "You said you were going to call me Lily. Remember?"

"It doesn't feel right," Frank argued.

"Be right back." Dean dashed out the door. Frank noted the time. Knowing how these people would consider riding Slow Elevator living in the fast lane, he decided to give Dean an hour before he started to worry.

"Why not, dear?" Missus Smith demanded. "It is my name."

"Miss Lily?" he tried.

"Oh, gads. Miss Lily sounds like I run a whorehouse," she exclaimed. "Or should I have Judge Roy Bean pining away for me?"

"Great movie," Frank agreed with a laugh. "Okay, Miss Lily is out." He drummed his fingers against the cold side bars of the bed. "Mom Lily?"

"Sounds like a mouthful," she insisted.

Frank shook his head having no other options. "I don't know, Missus Smith. What I call you needs to show respect and be respectful of the fact you're Dean's mom. I can't just call you Lily. I'm sorry."

"If I start looking over my shoulder, you should know I'm looking for my mother-in-law, the real Missus Smith," she told him with another pat to his hand. "I would prefer Lily, but if you don't feel right about it, then I suppose you can't. We'll just have to keep thinking about it, all right Frank?"

"Sure," he agreed, appreciating how she also thought forward, toward the future. The assumption he and Dean would be together long enough for them to work out a good name for her caused a return of the gooey feeling.