Chapter 4: Into Pixie Bush

When we finally return home, I rush to the vacant infirmary and dig up some cloth and a healing salve.  I return to Rafe, who is contently lounging on the over stuffed couch.  I clean up his bloody gash and then gently apply the salve.

    The doorbell rings.  Rafe shoots up from where he's sitting but I push him back down.  "I'll get it."

    I walk to the impressive entrance hall and open the door a crack.  Standing outside is a Fae, obviously from Pixie Bush.

. . .

Rafe and I race as fast as we can to Pixie Bush.  The Fae had said the Dark Guard was approaching, and that could mean a number of awful things. 

    I see the dome surrounding the Fae village, shimmering in the sunlight. The dome keeps unwelcome visitors out. Rafe is the protector of Fae and welcome in Pixie Bush.  Myself being half Fae allows me instant access to the village.

I look over at Rafe who has concern written all over his face.  We burst through the dome and rush to Kalen and Penelope's tree.  I drop off Nina, mid-gallop and sprint to the tree and up the steps.

    I burst into Penelope's apartment and scream, "KALEN!"  I hear something hit the floor and footsteps rushing to me.  Kalen comes through the door, as I run to him and throw my arms around him just as Rafe enters the apartment.

"Thank goodness you're safe," I murmur into his chest.

"By the Mother, what is going on in here?" Penelope demands.  Then she sees myself and Rafe and says, "Oh, hello children."

"Hello, Penelope," Rafe says and gives the woman a kiss on the cheek.

Kalen kisses the top of my head and asks, "What are you two doing here?  I thought I was meeting you at Rafe's estate in three days."

"You were supposed to, but a Pixie named Sugar Bliss came to us and informed us the Shadow Guard are going to attack Pixie Bush."  I say, still clinging to Kalen.

"You two can take off those silly masks and I shall get us some cake!"  Penelope exclaims and scrambles into another room, no doubt to retrieve the cake.

Rafe and I exchange a look.  He shrugs and removes his mask.  I do the same.

Penelope walks through the door and almost drops the cake. "Goodness child!  Your beautiful face!"  She places the cake on the table and walks to Rafe to examine his wound.  "Lucky for you, I have just the thing!"

When she disappears again, Rafe turns to Kalen to embrace his friend.  "Group Hug!"  Kalen laughs and pulls me into the center of my two best friends.  I giggle and lean my head into Kalen's chest, taking in this beautiful moment.

Screams, so many of them.  Coming from the street.  I push past Kalen and rush to the window and see what I feared, the Shadow Guard has gotten past the force field. Someone must have let them in.  I tie my mask behind my head, and follow Rafe out the door.

<3
I'm trying to get into a better schedule for posting chapters but i'm not very good at that kinda stuff oops.

Xoxo,
DD