Chapter 18: Story Tavern

Three weeks later, Lilliana and I spend every day from dawn to dusk together.  Our favorite activity is watching the Royal guards shirtless as they train in the courtyard.  Unless I'm called to do Royal stuff like greeting snobby guests, hosting stupid luncheons, or just making an appearance at uncomfortable meals, you'll find me next to Lilly.

Today, Lilliana had a social gathering to attend with her mother.  I haven't been outside the castle walls in much too long and there is no way Uncle Gabriel or Aunt Serena would approve of me wandering off on my own.  There is only one way to get out unnoticed.

I knock on the door to his rooms. His butler answers and motions for me to enter.

"Erien," I approach his desk where he's working.  "I need your help."

He looks up at me with a curious gaze.  Placing his quill on the desk, he leans back in the chair.  "This should be interesting."

"I need to get out," I pace back and forth.

"Out?  Danica, you know that's an awful idea,"

"I won't get in any trouble."  I pout.  "Just tell me where that secret passageway you always use to leave the castle is."

Erien's eyes snap up to mine.  "How did you know about that?" 

"I had my suspicions."  I smirk.  "But I know now."

He stands up and walks out of the room, with me silently following him.

He leads me to the library and we wind through the maze of shelves.  We reach the far corner and he pulls on a book, opening the secret passageway.

I pull on the hood of my black cloak and pull my leather gloves over my arms to hide the tattoos, but before I can enter the pitch black tunnel, Erien grabs my wrist.  "Be careful out there Dani,"  the us of my childhood name on his lips causes my head to snap up.  "There are bad people out there."

I grin wickedly, "I know Erien, but I'm the worst of them all."

Without another word I plunge into the darkness of the passage.

. . .

The Main Street of the village is deserted.  No one lurks about to see the caped person slipping in and out of the shadows. 

I slip into a tavern that reeks of unwashed bodies, alcohol, and sex.  This tavern had been reported to have the most rumors about the world-famous assassin, Princess Danica, and the Black Wolf's new female partner.

Small round wooden tables litter the worn out floor.  The bar is placed at the back and as expected, there's a drunk man upfront bragging about defeating the best assassin in the world.  Little did he know that very same assassin is sitting in the back of the room listening.

"He swung at me and I stuck my father's dagger right through his eye!"  He exclaims with pride glowing in his eyes. 

Gasps from the crowd.

"And right after I was called to this very city to be personally thanked by Princess Danica at the palace!"  He continues.

I keep my head low as I bang my hand down on the bar counter.  The bartender slides a full mug my way.

I chug it down as the drunk bastard continues his tall tale.