Burning Red

"You know what I don't get?" I asked my best friend Jackie.

"What don't you get?" She replied still thumbing through the clothing racks at Topshop.

"Why I can never actually style high waisted shorts. Like seriously. Do you know how many pairs I own?" I said holding up a hot pink pair and waving it at her.

"See, that's why I love you Bria. You always have the deepest thoughts," Jackie smiled and grabbed the shorts from me. "These are cute though," she continued. "You just need like a plain colored tank top to tuck into it,"

I rolled my eyes and stuck them back on the rack. "We should probably get going soon Jack," I sighed.

"Hmm. Another shopping trip and I found nothing," Jackie noted as we walked out of the store. I groaned as we came to the mall's exit. A huge flash of lighting lit up the sky, and it was pouring down rain. "Crap," Jackie muttered.

"Alright, let's make a run for it," I groaned and opened the heavy glass door. Thank god my car was parked close to the door. We managed to get to it before getting completely soaked. As soon as we sat down in the car, thunder literally shook the ground.

But that's not what Jackie noticed. "Bria! Your necklace! It's glowing red!" Jackie gaped completely ignoring the shaking.

"WHAT?!" I whipped my head down and saw that it was.

At birth, each baby, boys and girls, are given a government issued necklace. These necklaces are indestructible and will permanently stay with their owner. Internationally, it was decided hundreds of years ago to use the necklaces as a method to find love. They will lead you to your perfect match. They glow different colors when you get within certain distances from each other. Red when you get close, and blue when you get farther away. Its sort of like a game of hot and cold. With the necklaces, there is no heartbreak and more time can be spent on world productivity. Thats the reason they were created. There has never been a glitch in the entire existence of the system. But that doesn't include me. Or so I thought. They said that my special someone was still out there waiting for me, but I thought he got hit by a bus or something. I was wrong! I always knew he lives far away from me, because the necklaces are inactive if you are over 100 miles from your spouse. About 80% of couples live within the 100 miles from each other. Now for the first time in my life, my necklace is glowing! My perfect match is actually near me!

"This is the first time it's ever glowed any color right?!" She bounced up and down in the passenger seat next to me.

I was still staring down at my neck in disbelief. It took 18 years but its finally glowing red. It even felt warm on my skin.

"C'mon, we have to go look for him! He could be around here!" Jackie squealed.

I looked out at the rain pelting my window. "Not worth getting struck by lighting and getting drenched. I don't want to look nasty the first time me meet." Jackie frowned. "I'll find him later. It's not like he's going anywhere," I said starting the car.

"Fine," she put on her seatbelt.

We got back to our town home soon after and ordered a pizza.

"I still can't believe you didn't want to run after your match! Your necklace is still glowing red Bria," Jackie said flipping through the TV channels.

"Jacqueline just pick one!" I laughed as she still couldn't decide.

"AHHHHH!!" Jackie screamed at the huge clap of thunder and flash of lightning that just came from outside our window.

"Wait for it... Pleeeease stay on...." I squeezed my eyes shut. Suddenly, there was darkness. "Damn it! Power out again!" I threw my head back and let out a groan.

"That's twice this month," Jackie added.

The knock on our door caused us both to scream. Jackie grabbed her phone and switched on her flashlight app. She looked out the peephole. My necklace was bright red and was burning my skin. "Jack! Look at my-"

"Omigod it's Jacob!" Jackie cut me off. Jacob is her match. They found each other a few years ago. She yanked open our door. "Wait. You're not Jacob! Who are you?" I heard Jackie ask.

I looked over to the doorway. I saw a bright red light. Intrigued, I got up and stumbled over to where Jackie was standing.

"Hi, sorry to bother you. I'm Liam Payne. I just moved in next door. Did the power go off?" The boy answered.

Jackie gestured around to the darkness "What do you think happened?" She rolled her eyes.

The boy sort of gave a fake laugh in response. "Um well I," a huge bolt of lightning flashed behind him. He jumped out of his skin. In the light behind him I got a good look at him. Rain was pouring off his hair and was getting stuck in his thick eyebrows. His powder blue t-shirt was soaked through. I gaped at his perfect 6 pack underneath. Not to be outdone by the extremely bright red glowing necklace he wore.

He seemed to be looking at my necklace too. More thunder shook the ground. Rain was still hitting me and I was still sort of inside. "It's getting worse out here," I started.

"Yeah, I... Your... I gotta go!" He bit his lip and took off running.

Jackie shut the door. "What a cliche, the boy next door is your match."

"You don't know that," I argued.

"What? Did you not think he was cute enough?" Jackie accused.

"No he was very good looking, you just never know," I replied.

"We're checking tomorrow," she said wandering into her room. I checked the clock, it was about 10:30. "Goodnight Bria," she said sweetly.