17|| Overnight ADD

Charlotte's POV

The next few days in class, I can't sit still. I fidget with my pen, my papers, my notebook, the hem of my shirt - anything within my reach. Professor Drue lectures on about something and whatever he says goes in one of my ears and out the other. I don't think I'll retain any information from the lessons.

Lightly, Harry taps me on the shoulder. Surprised at his touch, I practically jump three feet into the air, earning some snickers from Shannon and Louis sitting behind me.

"Did you develop ADD overnight or something?" Harry asks in a low whisper.

I brush it off. "Sorry, I'm just a little distracted."

"A little distracted? Char, I've watched you fidget with every object on your desk and look aimlessly around the room for the past four days. I think you might have repositioned your notebook at least thirteen times within the last half hour."

"Harry, I'm fine!" I exclaim in a harsh whisper.

Unconvinced, he cocks an eyebrow at me and a smile tugs at the corners of his lips. "Alright. If you insist that you're fine, you'll have no problem telling me what Professor Drue has been lecturing us about."

Honestly, I couldn't even tell Harry what I ate for breakfast this morning. I don't remember if I even ate breakfast at all. After the other evening's lesson with Jo and Zayn, my thoughts have been jumbled together. I can't think straight. I've tried to pay attention to my work but the rules of conning are bouncing off the walls of my brain and echoing throughout my body.

"Um...he's talking about marketability?" I say, my statement sounding more like a question.

He smirks. "Wrong. He's talking about the versatility of designs. We also have a test first thing tomorrow."

Turns out that I don't even need crazy conmen chasing me back to California. If I fail this class, my bad grades will pack my bags for me. If I'm serious about staying here, I'm going to need to learn a thing or two about balance.

Irritated with myself for answering incorrectly and for paying a minuscule amount of attention, I groan loudly. The sound is louder than I expected and is easily heard by everyone else in the room. Thirty pairs of eyes shift in their seats and turn around to look at me.

"Miss Voss, do you have a problem with my teaching?" Professor Drew asks, his eyes narrowed. My cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"N-Not at all sir!" I squeak.

"Good. Next time I'm boring you, please keep your interjections to yourself instead of distracting the entire class," he replies before slowly turning back to the board.

I sneak a quick glance at Harry who is currently biting his lip to keep from laughing. Much to my dismay, he looses control and let's out a cringeworthy snort. The whole class erupts into a fit of laughter and Professor Drew shoots me a glare intense enough to give me first degree burns.

Harry lets out another laugh. The delighted sound echoes pleasantly in my ears and causes another wave of embarrassment to wash over me. When I look at him again, his green eyes twinkle with amusement. I shove my face in my hands and pray that there isn't much of class left to endure.

-:-:-:-:-
Once class is over, I storm out of the room. I trudge down the sidewalk with my book bag carelessly slung over my shoulder and kick any rock that comes across my path.

"Oh stop it! That was hilarious! You need to learn when to have a good laugh!" Harry calls, chasing after me.

I stop in my tracks and abruptly turn on my heels. My eyes widen and I shout, "Because of you I was embarrassed in front of the entire class! Because of you Professor Drew is probably going to hate me for the rest of the year!"