15 || Johanna

Charlotte's POV

"Well, well, well, look what we have here!" Jo says with an amused tone, her lips splitting into a large, devilish grin.

As nonchalantly as possible, I examine Jo. She's tall and embodies a lean, muscular frame. She has piercing blue eyes and black shaggy hair that's tousled and edgy. As I study her, her eyes meet mine.

She lets out a low laugh, opening her mouth to expose all of her perfect white teeth. I shiver runs down my spine as she shakes her short hair out of her eyes. I feel even more intimidated when she turns and narrows her cat-like eyes at Zayn and me.

She pouts her lips. "This really is too good. You couldn't find better quality entertainment on TV. Maybe I should sell your story to a big time writer hmm? I'm sure it'd make a killing."

Abruptly, Zayn stands and takes a few long strides over to her. He grabs her arm and vigorously pulls her to her feet. Jo simply stands unfazed and cocks her pretty head to the side. She stares defiantly back at Zayn as if she gets treated like this every day.

"Cut it out Jo. What do want?" Zayn hisses, practically spitting on her. Jo sneers and rolls her eyes.

"What makes you think I want something from you Zayn?" She asks, bringing her face closer to his.

Now their lips are merely millimeters apart. She takes one of her slender fingers and traces Zayn's bottom lip. I look at Zayn, only to see his expression unchanged. There's no sign on his face that he's uncomfortable with the fact that Jo is invading his personal space. Jo's acting completely unaffected as well.

The two look like they could be discussing something as simple as the weather outside. Either these two are really this comfortable with each other, or all Zayn's training talk wasn't a load of nonsense. Maybe it's a combination of the two.

Zayn scoffs. "Please. I know how you operate Jo. You won't let this slide unless you get something out of it."

"And here I was thinking you didn't pay any attention to me! Turns out you know me well. I'm touched, really," she exhales, placing her manicured hand over her heart. "You're right. Why would I help you if it wouldn't benefit me? Let's see....what do I want....How about...one night with you? You know I'd die to get a piece of you."

I gasp at her request. Jo looks at me and chuckles before reverting her attention back to Zayn. As she waits for his response, she seductively chews on her bottom lip, all the while never breaking eye contact. I had no idea she was so flirtatious. She seems to have no boundaries and lacks the concept of personal space.

"Don't joke around Jo. What would boss man say about that?" Zayn replies, completely serious.

"I suppose you're right Zayn. The boss wouldn't like it if he heard anything relating to the sort. I'd hate for him to go after you. You know he's head over heels for me. Anyway, how about I give you a rain check on the favor. I'll save it to make it really good and when I really need something. Maybe it'll have sometching to do with her if she proves to be useful," she says before walking over to me. She takes my face in her hands and I hold my breath as her long fingernails trace the skin on my cheek. "I'll keep your secret. Don't worry."

"Thank you Jo," Zayn mutters before taking a step back and crossing his arms over his chest. His jaw is clenched and his nostrils are slightly flared.

"Sorry to interrupt...but if I'm going to pull this off, I'll need all the help I can get," I say, cutting the tension in the air.

"That's certainly true," he says bluntly.

"Are you sure you can do this? It's not too late to run. I can give you a head start before I turn and blab to the boss," Jo says peering down at me. "Conning is all about trust and confidence. So far, I'm not impressed with what I've seen from you. You look like a scared little girl. Ever since you saw me, you've felt intimidated and minuscule. You're not in junior high anymore Charlotte. If you want to make it in this industry, self-doubt is something that needs to be thrown out the window."

My shoulders slump at her words. She can see through me like a pane of glass. In attempt to look better, I straighten up and lift my head up high. I give Jo the cockiest smile I can muster. Jo snorts and turns to Zayn before doubling over in laughter.

"This is going to be the best thing I've done in a long time," she sighs, pretending to wipe a tear from the corner of her eye. Zayn studies me, the look in his eyes almost softening.

"Give her a break Jo. Hopefully she'll manage to learn all that in time," he says. "But Lottie, she's right. Confidence isn't something that's gained overnight. It's mastered over time and is very important. How can you convince anyone of anything if you can't even convince yourself?"

They're right. But what they don't know is that I've had plenty of practice at faking confidence. It's never been something I've had. I've never considered myself the most funny, most beautiful, or even most interesting girl. When I look in the mirror, I think I'm quite plain. The person I am now is an image I've built up with sarcastic comments and witty remarks. Those are what make me feel special.

Even though I'm terror-stricken at the thought of plunging head first into the world of conning, I know this is something I have to do. I will not switch schools again. I will not go crawling back home to the school and the people I left behind. I will stay here in London no matter what is thrown at me. Maybe, just maybe I'll get something out of this experience. Improving my confidence and my wit can't be all bad right?

With a new sense of certainty I ask,"Great. When do we start?"