Chapter 14

Usually girls my age are dating 17/18 year old hormonal teenage boys  who flaunt their 'love' in the hallways or privately underneath the high school bleachers. Who attend arm in arm at prom and declare their love by holding hands but me, I was different. I was dating an older man, an English teacher,  Mr. Calvin.   

I was screaming internally as Mr. Calvin drove towards downtown. It was our study night aka Date Night. He had promised me that we go to a musical as our second date and I was extremely excited that I had to pinch myself from yelling. He gave me short glances here and there as he drove, "You okay?" he chuckles

I laugh, "Just really excited." 

He parks the car and looks over at me, he takes my hands in his before kissing me on my forehead. "You're beautiful" he whispers.

I feel myself heat up that I look away, "Lets get going" I almost yell

The night was perfect, light up trees filled the sidewalks. As well as entertainers outside the restaurants and shops drew in crowds and cheers from people. The musical was marvelous and hilarious, I could feel Mr. Calvin eyes on me during the play. I tried not look foolish but I felt I was going to melt, his rough fingers intertwined with mine, every now and then his thumb would caresses my hand. And oh did he smell delicious, coffee and cologne lingered in my nostrils every time he breathed. His chest rising up and down as he laughed along with the audience. He looked so perfect like a model in a magazine, I could imagine him modeling shirtless in a library photo shoot, one leg resting on a stack of books while he holds his coat behind his back. Flashing his perfect smile. Effortlessly changing position, while I hide in the background camouflaged with the books so nobody could see me.

 Effortlessly changing position, while I hide in the background camouflaged with the books so nobody could see me

Startled by the appraisal of the audience I glance back to Mr. Calvin, his eyes are on me; he winks. I quickly look away and smile to myself knowing he was staring, I wanted to explode. 

We sat in in his car in front of my house. The lights were off, "My mom is probably sleeping" I remark settling in my seat.

"What about your dad?" He asks, 

I look upon his eyes, "What about him?"

"You haven't spoken about him and I don't think I even saw him the day I met your mom."

It grew silent, "Hes dead, he died because he was drunk driving years ago. I was twelve when it happened"

"I'm sorry" he takes my hand.

There were times when I was mad at him for drinking that night, but mostly I was sad because he had to go that way. Leaving my mother and I alone that he wouldn't be here to see me graduate or even be at my wedding in the future. "It's fine" I shake his hand off, I want to bawl my eyes out and I didn't want Mr. Calvin to see. I hated crying in front of people. It made me feel exposed; weak.

I quickly kissed his cheek before he could say anything and left his car. 

I felt stupid.