Chapter Twenty-Four: Family Pains. (And That's Just My Family)

After a long extensive talk about my baby and what I'm naming her, my mum grabbed my cup and sat it in the sink.

"You guys need to get ready, the family will be coming soon." She smiled and pulled Melissa off the couch and pushed us upstairs.

"Thanks Mum." I laughed. "GAH I'm tired." I said and cracked my neck as soon as my bedroom door was shut. I dug out my makeup bag and sat at the vanity in front of the mirror. I decided to wipe my makeup off and start fresh. I reapplied my foundation and lined my eyes a little thicker than before and dramatically winged them with a liquid black eyeliner. I dusted my lids with a shimmery gunmetal gray an a sparkly silver and white. I opened eyes and looked in the mirror, against the bland colors, the green of my eyes seemed much more prominent and bright. I smiled and braided my hair into a waterfall braid. I scratched my scalp and looked over my clothes I had bought from America and looked over at my closet where my clothes were probably way too small to even consider them. I decide on a skater dress with a white tiger with bright blue eyes covering my chest. The neckline was high, which was good to keep my newly found breasts from spilling out. Before I was pregnant my boobs were barely above B-cups and now they are close to a D. I pulled on a pair of lace tights I found in my dresser thinking the waistband would conceal my tummy a little bit. I growled at the arm fat under my armpits spilling out of my dress. I pulled my arms through a light wash denim jacket and called it good. I jammed my feet into some blue Mary Jane pumps that were probably way too tall for a pregnant woman but they did match the blue of the tiger's eyes.

"Alex can I talk to you?" Niall whispered through the door.

"Yeah, sure." I said and opened the door. Niall strode quietly into the room dressed in black skinny jeans, a light gray long-sleeved v-neck, and some worn out boots. He sighed nervously and pushed his sleeves past his elbows. "Hey." I smiled. He gave me a small grin and sat on my bed, running his fingers through his blonde hair.

"Hey." He gulped.

"You look nice." I smiled warmly.

"Uh yeah you look really pretty." He said distantly.

"Why are you so nervous?" I asked, tilting my head quizzically. He rubbed his hands together.

"Well uh I'm just uh freaked out. I mean they don't even know we're not dating and you're with Zayn and he's like my best friend and..." He rambled until I put my hand up to mute him.

"Niall just don't over think things. It'll all turn out ok." I smiled and rested my hand on his shoulder squeezing a bit. I bit my lip, unable to contain a little melody from flooding through my mouth. I failed miserably and began to sing: "Don't you fret, Monsieur Marius. I don't feel any pain, a little fall of rain can hardly hurt me now." Niall smiled realizing I was singing Les Miserables. We saw it once on stage while we were together. It was just a small community production. "You're here, that's all I need to know." I sang softly, placing his hands on my tummy, "And you will keep me safe, and you will keep me close. And rain, will make the flowers...grow." I smiled and got up to take a final look at myself and heard someone sing behind me.

"But you will live 'Ponine. Dear God above! If I could close your wounds with words...of love." He smiled and took my hand. I giggled and added:

"Just hold me now and let it be. Shelter me, comfort me." I placed his hand over my heart like the actress in the show. We laughed together.

"I knew that was your favorite song from Les Miserables." He said with my hand still in his.

"I didn't think you paid any attention." I mumbled and blushed. His jaw dropped slightly.

"I never want to blink when I'm around you. I never want to miss a second, Alex. Not this time." He said to me, looking me straight into my eyes. I smiled and looked away.