Midnight Kiss

I knew something was wrong. As I pulled on a pale blue button down skirt and tight black strapless shirt and matching heels, I heard the world downstairs come alive. I was late to arrive for the morning's routine, but I rushed quickly down the stair case to find the room bristled in fear and anxiety. My body froze on the stair.

"What's happening?" I asked out loud. The Cullen family was zipping around the house, placing different objects around and then replacing them. Edward, Carlisle, and Jasper talked quietly among each other. Bella paced the room with Renesmee pouncing wildly, tapping her hand upon Bella's worried forehead. Whatever she was showing Bella did not comfort her at all. Rosalie sat on the steps watching the mayhem like me, while Emmett smiled brightly up at me. Alice was sitting upstairs, probably looking into the future like always. No one answered my question, irritated I crossed my arms.

"Good morning, DJ." Emmett murmured, not bothering to answer the first question. The nickname I had received from Emmett was cute, D for Dee and J for Jean...it was funny, but I didn't think it was the time to use it. I huffed in reply.

"Charlie is coming today." Jasper spoke quietly, glancing at me for longer than a glance would be. I've heard the name before, but wasn't sure what the huge fuss was about.

"Charlie is Bella's father." Edward whispered through clenched teeth as he read my crazed mind.

"Father?" I asked curiously, sliding my way in between Carlisle and Edward. I had originally thought that the Cullen's were over hundreds of years old, and there was no way any biological parent could survive that long. Maybe he was like us, and was turned after Bella was born.

"He's human." Edward sighed, and explained the mystery to me. "Bella is only twenty-two years old, after being changed at age eighteen. Her father, Charlie, is still alive and well and even has a slight understanding of this world of ours. But not enough to know what we are or what you can do to him when exposed to his blood."

The burning returned at the thought of human blood. I tried to calm myself, knowing I would never forgive myself if I ever hurt Bella's own father. Why was everything I did so dangerous for someone?

"I can't be here when he comes." Finally realizing what the fretting was about. They didn't trust my newborn craziness to be near another human, especially a human of this importance and love, nor should they.

"That's what we believe." Carlisle interrupted whatever Edward was going to say, taking over the situation. I suddenly felt somewhat safer knowing he was taking control of the leadership role he took on so easily.

"Dee should leave with one of us and come back after Charlie's visit, someone he wouldn't miss as much as others." Jasper suddenly jumped in. "She's not ready to come face to face with a human without the threat of killing them." Again my throat burned violently at the thought of blood cooling the fierce pain.

"I agree." Carlisle said after a moment of time to ponder the option before him. Reading my thoughts on the subject of human blood, Edward quickly followed, glancing at me unsurely. It was decided that I was to leave until it was safe for Charlie to come back.

"Midnight," I stated quietly. "I'll be back by midnight. No one needs to come with me. I don't want to separate your family because of my...my weakness."

"It's not a weakness, Dee." Jasper replied gently. "We all go through it. Some are stronger than others." I nodded and smiled slightly at his concerned expression. Knowing about his vast knowledge on newborns, his observations of me were greatly trusted. I don't think he understands how much I trust him.

"One question remains," Carlisle murmured half to himself. "Who goes with Dee?" I glanced at the surrounding Cullen's in the room. Edward and Bella were out of the question, it was Bella's father who was visiting, and it only made sense to stay here. Carlisle and Esme were a necessity to the house somehow. That left Rosalie, Jasper, Emmett, and Alice to come with me. And I knew one thing; I refuse to go anywhere with Alice Cullen.