Chapter Five: Les All Hollows Mascarade

October 31st, 1910

My turquoise dress shimmered and shined in the chilly, October sun as I walked in the gardens of the Opera Populaire. In the backyard of the Opera Populaire there were acres and acres of gardens and plants, four flower gardens, two tomato gardens, a strawberry garden (which served as a pumpkin patch in the fall), three peach trees, four blueberry bushes, two grape vines (the Opera Populaire also makes its own wine), four apple trees, and two, large magnolia trees that were half the size of the Opera House! There was a small pond next to a white gazebo with chipping, white paint; beside the gazebo, on the edge of the pond, were two small, concrete benches. A brick path led to this pond and gazebo, next to these stood the two, tall, and proud magnolia trees; as I walked down the path, putting on a dark blue cloak as I did so, Victoria walked slowly behind me, watching the cooks pluck apples and pumpkins. The smell of cherry wood and something delicious filled the air around us, for the kitchen was very close to the gardens; so that the cooks could run out and get whatever they needed at a moments notice.

I then felt a small, warm hand slip into mine; I glanced down to see my sister looking at the wonder about her, the trees that surrounded the Opera Populaire were turning wonderful colors. Ruby reds, golden yellows, candy corn orange, chocolate diamonds, and of course, there were one or two evergreen trees. A soft, cold wind blew but Victoria and I didn't notice, for the day was clear (not a cloud in the sky) and the sun was dimmed from the coldness of the year; Victoria and I walked down to the pond, but as we were, I kept hearing an extra pair of footsteps, putting it off as one of the cooks I continued to walk my funny sister to the old gazebo. When we arrived, Victoria gasped and broke away from me, running to the pond and scaring off a dozen dragonflies, who only returned moments later in pure curiosity as to what on earth she was! I giggled and walked to one of the respectable magnolia trees, I then sat down underneath it and watched as Victoria observed a family of swans;  I heard a great rustle of leaves above me and the next thing I knew the magnolia blooms fell off of the tree and landed in my hair, I smiled and stood, holding a bloom in my hand (which I placed in my hair) I attempted to look up into the great tree.

 There was another rustle, caused by the wind, but I was sure that the first rustle was not; I touched the trunk of the tree and thought of climbing up it but that thought I quickly disregarded; this beautiful dress probably cost too much to go climbing up in trees in! All of a sudden the tree rustled again, causing more blooms to fall and stick in my hair; I smiled, and then I saw the flash of something black, like a black fabric. I gasped and quickly followed it, all of a sudden I heard someone growl a curse and a ripping sound came afterwards; then there was silence, I quickly walked to where I heard the din and found, on a high branch (that I had to jump to get to) there was a piece of black, velvety fabric that posh (rich) people use for cloaks; now I knew that it wasn't the wind. "What do you have there, sissy?" Victoria called from the opposite side of the pond, I shook my head and sat down again, examining the torn fabric.

After two hours Victoria and I began to walk back to the Opera House, and again I heard the extra pair of footsteps. All of a sudden Mamma Giry came out of the Opera House, looking rather worn and pale "Oh, thank goodness!" she cried, throwing her arms around me and kissing my cheek, urgently. She pulled away from me and saw the magnolia blooms in my hair, she smiled and Victoria asked her what the matter was "Do you remember that man who attacked you? Well, they found him in the parlor only half an hour ago; he was beaten and his head was severed from his body, his limbs were also torn from his torso.

I thought that the man attempted to attack you again; thank heavens he didn't!" Mamma cried, throwing her arms around me once more, now I heard the door creak open once again but no one came outside...and no one went inside; it seemed that the door opened on its own. Mamma pulled away again and saw the piece of velvety fabric in my grasp, Mamma smiled "Well" she wrapped her arm around me and held hands with Victoria "I've got your script for the song you'll be singing tonight...rather...in a few hours." Mamma said with a smile as we all walked inside.