Chap. 13

THIRD POV

"Thank you" Nina thanked the young man helping her out of the taxi and holding an umbrella over her head. Wrapping the shawl tighter around her on this rainy day she headed inside. She hated that she had to push herself this past 52 hours all because of that damned family. They had somehow, made it possible and called for a deliberation before a judge. Those fools, knew very well that Diane was not in the country. They couldn't even let her enjoy her vacation.

Walking further into the courtroom, she passed the massive statue and he met her associate and close friend Jude Ichikawa waiting for her.

"Beautiful morning, isn't it?" he joked. He was answered with a snort of annoyance.

"How is it going?" he asked handing her a mug of lemon tea with two tea spoons of honey.

Nina took it greedily and took a sip "Thank you. I love you"

"Better not let Neal hear you say that. I don't want to be the fish's next meal" he joked darkly. He knew how protective and possessive Neal was about his woman. Walking with her side by side they discussed the case. Jude was her second chair and ironically was George' Sinclair's lawyer.

"When did they arrive?" she asked taking another sip of her tea. Enjoying the hot beverage as it warmed her inside.

"Since a half an hour ago" he replied.

"Honest to God, I hate them I hate them so much. They knew that Diane is out of the country and they decide to move the hearing a week ahead to today" she complained.

"They must be getting desperate" she noted. Laughing wryly.

"Well playing dirty is how the game is played" Jude laughed.

"What do you think of our chances?" she asked him. Even though they had gone over this many times last night.

"Anybody else this would be a stitch. An open and shut case"

"But..." she pushed, knowing that he had more to say. She knew that he had something more to say and coming from Jude it meant something important. This man was a genius. Coupled with a business degree and a law degree he could take anyone to court.

"But this is the Dwights we are talking about. If it were anybody else it would be easy to gage the outcome. But he holds a lot of power in not just this town but this state"

"Yes, I suppose. But so does Sinclair and Diane" she added. Occasionally tossing a nod to other lawyers and bailiffs, paralegals and security guards she met along the way. But she was deeply engrossed in this conversation.

"Nina, I hate to say this but I have to. Sinclair is a mega celebrity but the Dwights hold a fair amount of power in this state. They come from both old and new money." Jude reminded her.

"I suppose. Though we have to thank them for being wise enough to sign that contract"

"True. That might be our biggest argument" he agreed.

Walking around the corner they made it towards the designated room. Jude being a gentleman opened the door and let the lady go in first. In the room they already saw the plaintiff with his two lawyers. Top notch lawyers in the state. And of course they saw their supporters. His parents and the Eric Timmons. On their side however, they had Esther. She gave them each a hug.

"You are going to do great" Esther whispered. They had to, this was her family.

"Nina. Jude" they opposing counsel greeted them.

"Patrick. Tracey" Jude returned. Nina just nodded her head at them she was busy opening up her brief case and organizing her notes.

"You know, we can skip this and just go to a mediator. Keep everyone happy" Tracey Hellman came walking up to their side of the room.