Chapter 14: Maybe

"Are you okay?" Elijah asks me when I walk up to him and Lucy. Worry clear in his eyes.

"I think I'm going to go home now," I say which catches Lucy's attention.

"Are you okay?" she asks, worriedly and I nod.

"Yeah, I'm fine...I'm just tired. Do you need a ride home?" I ask, remembering that we'd carpooled

"No, I'm going to stay back and help John clean up." she says and I nod, giving her a quick hug before turning back to Elijah.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" I ask, grabbing my phone out of my pocket to avoid his eyes.

"I'm leaving with you." he says sternly as I check my messages for any texts.

"Okay," I say, looking up and heading towards the door. I feel him following close behind,

"What's wrong with you?" Elijah asks, grabbing my arm as I search for my keys in my coat pocket.

"Nothing, I'm just tired." I say, finally finding them and opening my car door. I press the unlock button so Elijah can get in and I realize that he is standing there, staring at me.

"Scarlett, what's the matter?" he asks softly and I inhale through my nose.

"It's nothing," I say, getting into the car.

"I'm going to figure it out sooner or later." I hear him say as he head over to the passenger side.

The drive back to my house is quiet except for the music quietly playing on the radio.

"I know something's wrong; you won't even look at me." Elijah murmurs as we pull into my driveway.

"Did I do something?" he asks, looking over at me as I take the key out of the ignition.

"No," I sigh, dropping the keys on my lap.

"Then talk to me...look at me at least and tell me that you are okay and that I'm just overreacting. Tell me that I didn't do anything and that you are just tired." he pleads and I let out a shaky breath before I turn my head to look at him.

"Are you okay?" he nearly whispers and I shake my head no.

"What's wrong?" he asks again.

"Y'know that talk Johnny needed to have with me?" I ask and Elijah nods.

"Well, we talked." is all I manage to get out before I start to bawl, my head against the steering wheel.

"Scarlett," I hear Elijah say close to my ear and my skips a beat. When had he gotten out of the car. I feel his hand on my back, rubbing circle gently.

"Please leave me alone," I whisper and I feel his hand freeze on my back.

"It was about me," he says after a few minutes of silence.

"What did he say about me?" he asks.

"You're still in love with me." I say, wiping my eyes, trying to get a grip on myself.

"Well, that's nothing new." he says seriously, though his eyes shine when he says it.

"That's the thing...you can't, you can't still be in love with me. You have to move on and get over me." I say harsher than I'd meant and I watch him wince as a frown replaces his smirk.

"What else did he say?" he asks, tiredly.

"That I'm still in love with you." I practically mouth, sound barely resonating in my words.

"Are you?" Elijah asks quietly. I can hear the curiosity and desperateness in his voice like he needed to know the answer.

"Does that really matter Elijah, we aren't together and we don't stand a chance." I blurt, trying to avoid answering the question and I see hurt in his eyes.