Chapter 19: Paper Hearts

"Why would he reject your mothers offer?" Lucy asks over the over.

"Because," I say exasperatedly. Truth was I wished he'd said say no because I was liking having him around too much.

"Because what? Scar, you don't know how much longer he's going to be here...send you time wisely. I know you miss him, a lot. Be with him." Lucy says and I sigh. I stand up from the chair I was sitting in and come face to face with Elijah.

"Luce, I'll call you back later." I tell her. I hang up and look back at Elijah.

"I can leave if you want me to. I don't want to make you feel awkward. If it's too much, just tell me." he says and I mentally groan. He takes me silence as an answer and starts to walk away.

"Eli," I say quietly.

"Scarlett," he says, turning towards me again. I walk over to him and take a deep breath in and out.

"I miss you. I missed you so much while you away and when you came back, I just...I realized it was way more than I'd have liked to." I say, ducking my head as I begin to blush.

"God, I love you." I hear Elijah murmur and my hearts skips a beat. I keep my head down as I feel a pair of arms wrap around me.

"I missed you more." He whispers in my ear and I wrap my arms around him quick and tightly.

"We from being together every single second of every single day, to skype chats and phone calls. Of course it was hard, of course we'd miss each other." He says and I sigh. That wasn't my problem.

"It's not that, Eli." I say and I can feel his frown.

"It's now just that. You were my best friend and-" I start and he pulls back some.

"I was your boyfriend, Scarlett. We we're in love. Don't play it down, I know what happened. It happened to me too. And I know it hasn't been easy...seeing me again...and being just friends." He says and I nod. He understand more than I thought he would. He wraps me back in his arm and I close my eyes, relishing in the sheer peace of the moment.

(Flashback...)

"I am your boyfriend and I am madly in love with you, Scarlett Grey. And I'd scream it to the world, if it meant anything to you." Elijah says as I blush in his arms. We we're laying in his hammock in his backyard.

"It doesn't matter if you tell every Jane and John Doe if you can't tell me...that's all that matters." I say.

"You and me...that's all that matter." he says while kissing my cheek. He was always finding a way to touch me and confess his undying love to me. I softly peck his lips, snuggling deep into him.

"I love you too...just in case you didn't know." I say and I feel him chuckle.

"I know...it's in the way you look at me. And it's the only explanation I can think of as to why you've put up with me for so long." He says and I laugh.

"I can't deny that." I smirk.

"You treat me so wrong," he says jokingly, smiling down at me.

"But you love me any way. You're always gonna love me any way...and vice versa." I say sweetly. I guess I was always looking for way to confess my undying love too. I smile to myself as I feel Elijah's lips on my in a passionate kiss.

"God, I love you." he breaths out as we pull away.

____________________________________________________________

"Are you two ever going to stop hugging?" I hear Sam asks and Elijah chuckles, holding on to me.

"Never." Elijah says teasingly but I feel his grip on me tighten.

"I get it. Scar gives the best hugs, I always fall asleep after I have a bad dream when she hugs me." Sam says and I smile, looking up Elijah whose already looking at me.

"Thank you Sam I Am," I say as Elijah reluctantly lets me.

Shortly after, my mother calls us down for dinner and Elijah sits next to me. Sam sits across from us with our mother...

"So how's that girlfriend you were telling me about?" my mother asks and I almost spit out my food.

"You told my mother about your girlfriend?" I ask him.

"I might have mentioned her last time I was here." he says sheepishly and I sit back.

"She's my ex now." Elijah says to my mother and she chuckles.

"Teenagers," she says and we continue on with dinner.

"Scarlett doesn't have a boyfriend anymore either. " Sam says, looking at the both of us.

"She wasn't as happy with him as she is with you." He adds and I'm shocked mute. How had my little brother caught on to so much? He was so smart. I feel Elijah grab my hand and squeeze it....

"Sorry about Sam...he can be a bit too observant. Thank you for staying for for dinner." I say as I walk him out.

"I had fun,"Elijah says turning around to face me.

"Goodnight. Drive safely, please." I say and he smiles softly.

"I always do." he says, kissing the top of my head.

__________

ANDDDD SCENE...TILL NEXT CHAPTER! I love you. 💛