Chapter 15: Carry On

"Wake up," I hear his voice in my ear. I groan, snuggling into my pillow.

"I don't wanna," I whine and I hear him chuckle.

"Fine, I guess I'll just eat breakfast alone." He says and my eyes open wide.

"Breakfast?" I ask as I realize my pillow has a heart beat and and muscles. Why wasn't I moving?

"I started the blueberry pancake mix," he says as I stretch beside him, his arms tighten around me. Again, what wasn't I moving?

"Good Morning," I finally say, looking up at his face. He was a stunner even when he first woke up. He smiles at me and my heart starts to race.

"Good morning beautiful," Elijah says and I smile.

"How'd you sleep?" He asks as I sit up, my hair spilling over my shoulder.

"That was the best night of sleep in a while," I gush, freezing after realizing what I was implying.

"Mines too," Elijah says from behind me, hands sliding up my arms and to my shoulders.

"Let's go eat breakfast," he adds squeezing my shoulders then hopping out of bed.

"I haven't had blueberry pancakes in ages," I say as we walk down the stairs.

"Me neither, my father ruined them for me when he almost set the entire kitchen on fire." Elijah says and I giggle.

"How?" I ask intrigued as Elijah grabs a pan and spatula.

"How does he manage to do anything?" He asks playfully and I pinch him.

"Just prepare my food, peasant." I say teasingly.

"Where is your mother?" Elijah asks as I lean on the counter.

"Somewhere." I shrug nonchalantly. She wasn't home much now a days.

"How are you, Scar?" He asks.

"I'm fine." I say, taking the mix from his and pouring some on the pan. I feel arms go around me and I'm pulled away from the stove and sat onto the countertop.

"I'm going to ask you again...how are you, Scarlett?" He asks and I think about it.

"I'm...alive. I'm healthy. I'm okay." I tell him and he frowns, staring at me intently.

"What about happy? Are you happy?" He asks and I close my eyes. The question I'd been avoiding because up until twenty-four hours ago, I was pretty uncertain if I was happy or not..

"I'm a glad your back and we're hanging out again." I tell him and smiles, although, it doesn't reach his eyes.

"I want you to be happy." Elijah says sincerely and I nod. I want you to be in it. I think to myself. Ugh! I had to stop these thoughts. I HAVE A BOYFRIEND!

"And I will be, pinky promise." I say sweetly as we lock pinky fingers.

"Starting now," Elijah says and I smile up at him before jumping off the counter and flipping the pancakes.

"What are you doing today?" I ask, turning back around to face him.

"Nothing much, having dinner with the family and some businessmen." He says and I chuckle.

"Sounds like loads of fun." I say sarcastically and Elijah squeezes my side.

"Actually, it's very entertaining. They're usually very funny." He says, humorously.

"Oh, I'm sure it is." I chuckle. I take our pancakes off and slide them onto the plates.

"You know, I don't miss that sarcasm of yours much." He says behind and I turn around, my jaw down.

"You did not just say that Elijah Wade!" I exclaim and he starts to laugh.

"I believe I did miss." He says playfully, winking at me. I grab the nearest dish towel and hit him with it.

"Take it back," I say as he run around the counter.

"I can't," he says and I go after him again...

"I've got red marks all over me, thank you." Elijah says as we finish our pancakes and I smirk.

"You're very welcome." I say, rinsing my plate off and setting it in the dishwasher.

"Thank you because now I won't feel bad for doing this," Elijah says from behind and I feel arms wrap around me abruptly before he gives me a wet willy.

"You're disgusting!" I scream, elbowing him as he bends over laughing.

"Seriously Elijah, how old are you? Five." I scold and he continues laughing.

"You're so adorable when you're upset," he says, getting closer to me. He pinches my cheeks and I grab his wrist before he can get away.

"Never call me adorable again," I say menacingly as he smirks.

"But you are," he says huskily and I notice his eyes get darker.

"No, no. Don't go getting any ideas," I say, backing away from him and he grabs my waist.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asks slyly, picking me up and throwing me over his shoulder.

"Put me down this instant, you imbecile!" I yell, hitting his back. He starts running around the house.

"Put me down, Elijah!" I yell again, this time laughing a little as the doorbell rings.

"One second!" Elijah yells, carrying me towards the front door. He lets me look through the peephole and intense up.

"Put me down," I say and Elijah does it immediately.

Elijah unlocks the door and pulls it open.

"Hi," I mumble.