This is Really the Start: There was a Glove

Maine met RJ one wintry night.

It was snowing and she had lost the gloves she was carrying earlier the night. Ducking inside one of the stores on her way home, she saw only one pair was left at the stand. She hurriedly grabbed it to run to the check-out counter but felt a pull from the opposite direction.

"What in the world--?"

Napalingon siya sa gloves na hawak at nakitang may lalaki ring humihila rito.

"Uh..."

He was a looker- tall and lean and dapper in his scarf and coat. He looked pretty surprised to find her holding on to the pair of gloves too. And when their eyes met, she momentarily forgot why they we're both holding on to an article of clothing.

"Do you believe in fate?"

 "Um, what?"  

Hindi niya din alam kung bakit yung ang unang lumabas sa bibig niya. Sobrang dyahe pero ang cute ng confused face ni kuya. Okay, maybe she was a little captivated with his dimpled cheek. Pero hindi siya quitter kaya panindigan na lang.  

"Last pair of cashmere gloves, bringing two strangers together. I'm pretty sure I've seen this scene in a movie somewhere."

Tumawa ito.

"Yeah, I've seen that movie too. And I don't believe in fate."

"Me too actually", mabilis niyang sagot. "You can have it."

She let go of the gloves.

"No, you have it. It's okay. I'm sure i'll find another pair somewhere in the city."

He offers it to her.

"Let's not do this."

"How about we rock, paper, scissor this? or maybe we could split it--?"

"I'm willing to share. Just don't fall in love with me tonight, I don't have the time."

He grinned.

"That'll depend whether you're gonna write your phone number on a book that you're gonna make me look for."

"Fortunately, I don't have any book with me right now."

Nagkatitigan sila.

Nagkangitian.

It must have been the lights but she could have sworn that his eyes sparkled.

She didn't know that he was thinking the same thing about her.

"Well then, stranger, shall we?"

"One for you and one for me." He handed her a glove.

After splitting the bill and paying for the item, he turned to her.

"Are we going to ice skate at the Rockefeller's now?"

"Aw! That sounds nice. But aside from the probability that you could be a serial murderer I also don't know how to skate. Sooo... rain check?" She gave him a cheeky grin.

He laughs in good humor.

"Of course." He reached out his ungloved hand and she shook it.

"See you around, stranger."

"If we meet again, I'm going to start believing in fate."

------

Yeah, there were a lot of Serendpity references in this. If you haven't seen the movie, don't worry, last ko na to (na chapter na maraming Serendipity reference).