Outtake Numero Dos: The Hug

Outtake - (n.) 

1. a segment of film or videotape edited out of the final version.

2. a recording of a song not included in the final release of a record album.

Gets? K, on with the story!

------

BONUS TRACK:

The fifth time they met was on a random street in the city. 

Maine was aimlessly walking downtown nang makasalubong niya si RJ. Needless to say, it was a totally random happenstance just like all their previous meetings.

Sa dami ng tao sa New York at sa dami rin ng mga kalye doon, napatigil siya sa paglalakad nang makita ang pamilyar na mukha ng binata sa gitna ng karamihan.

"Hey stranger!"

"Yung totoo?" She couldn't believe her eyes.

"Pano ba yan? 5 points na."

Nakangiti siyang napailing, "Stop stalking me!"

She walked past him but he turned around to walk with her.

"Hindi mo ba alam, sabi nila pag pangit ang sumusunod sa'yo, stalker ang tawag dun pero pag gwapo, parang ako, admirer yun!"

"So gwapong-gwapo ka naman sa sarili mo n'yan?"

"Naman! Nung bata ako, araw-araw kaya akong sinasabihan ng Mama ko na ang pogi ko. Hindi kaya sinungaling ang Mama ko."

"Nung bata ka yun. E ngayon?"

Tipid itong napangiti at tumingala.

"Wala na si Mama. Kaya wala ng nagsasabi sakin na pogi ako araw-araw."

Napatigil sa paglalakad si Maine.

"Masyado atang heavy yung topic na yun para ngayong umaga. Kalimutan mo na la--"

RJ suddenly found himself suddenly engulfed by the sweet scent of her strawberry shampoo and warm coat. Slowly, he found himself embracing her back.

"Iniisip ko pa lang na wala si Nanay, ansakit-sakit na sa puso", she said after a while.

When his Mom passed away, everybody back then we're all 'sorry for your loss' and 'condolence'. The words easily grew meaningless to him. He realized that the words were just an automatic response by the people to his situation.

There were no such empty commiserations from her. Just an honest empathy that says 'I don't know what you went through but I understand it hurts'.

He felt like they stayed wrapped around each other in the middle of a busy New York street for hours. Just a comforting hug from one child to another.

"Okay na ko." His voice hitched. He thought he was over it but his eyes still water as she consoles him.

He gently rubbed her back when she hugged him tighter.

"Sorry..." She hesitantly stepped out of his arms and wiped her teary eyes. "That was a little awkward huh?"

"Actually hindi pa pala ko okay, pwede mo 'kong yakapin ulit." He teased her to lighten her mood.

"Ang breezy mo talaga!" She poked his tummy. Shemay, matigas. Hello RJ's abs! Wait, focus! Sorry RJ's Mom! Ang hot po kasi ng anak n'yo.

"Ice cream tayo?" She suddenly asked to distract herself from his abs.

"Umagang-umaga, ice cream agad? Tsaka winter na winter uy!"

"Eeeeh... nalungkot ako eh. Panagutan mo tong lungkot ko. Comfort food!"

"Alam mo, mag almusal muna tayo bago ice cream. Masama yan sa tiyan." Hinila siya nito to probably a diner somewhere.

"Hindi na pala; baka naaabala kita."

"Tingan mo to, ngayon pa ba?"

"Yung totoo, san ka talaga papunta?" Maine asked RJ.

"Hinahanap ka." He was smiling because she hasn't noticed yet that they were still holding hands.

"Uy, walang ganyanan. Gullible ako."

"Sabi ko naman sa'yo naniniwala na 'ko sa tadhana."

"Tadhana, your face!"

That was the first breakfast they shared. Over coffee and bacons and sausages with her, RJ learned to breathe easy again. By the time their apple pie is served, and she'd forgotten about the ice cream, Maine started to believe in nonsensical things again.

It was the first time that RJ asked for her number. It was also the first time she turned him down.

----

Hi everybody! This is just an outtake.

Na-inspire ako sa #CornerCollabs ng mga Titas kaya ayan. Kaso di ko alam kung san ipapasok sa outline ng kwento kaya eto... outtake na lang. Pero I'm working on the real chapter hard. Kapit lang friends!

-Eris xox