There is a Smile

A/N: I would like to beg forgiveness for this super delayed update. Maraming rason, wag na natin pag-usapan. You did not come here for that. Life happened *shrugs* And this chapter - GAH!! Para kong nagluwal ng sanggol. So I split this baby into two. This is the first half. 

Thank you for your patience.

-Eris x

___________________________________________________________

Masks.

There are all kinds of masks. Every one wears them.

That's why RJ is called Alden.

That's why Jerald carries his guitar with him on stage like a shield to hide behind at.

That's why Valeen paints her face with lipsticks and eye shades and liners like a soldier going to war.

That's why Sam puts on his bravado with his dapper clothes like an armor and deflects, deflects, deflects.

The spotlight is like a bull's eye.

It says 'this is your altar. Direct your adoration here.'

It also says 'this is your target. Direct your hate here.'

The stage is a battlefield.

And Alden's smile is RJ's best weapon of all.

Masks.

They all have them.

But there was something different about that night.

He did not expect to find her in all the songs. He is reminded and surrounded by all the melodies that is unexpectedly about her and for her.

This is probably why his band mates have been calling him Alden Richards on stage tonight. A constant reminder that he is Alden and not RJ at the moment.

His mask was slowly slipping.

This is how it cracked.

--

"Everybody havin' a f*ckin' good time yeah?"

The band has just finished their last set. Alden Richards who was on the verge of strong emotion earlier seems to have regained the swagger in his voice.

"Did you guys have fun? Kasi kung hindi, naku problema yan. If you think this is a sh*t show, isoli nyo tickets!"

"Paps, dahan-dahan. Baka seryosohin nila."

"Di ko naman sinabi na magre-refund tayo. Basta isoli nyo lang. Haha!"

They were catching their breath with a little chat before the obligatory encore.

"Maraming salamat sinamahan n'yo kami ngayong gabi sa unang concert ng The Wave."

"Sana hindi ito ang huli!"

The crowd's loud call for more becomes a chant.

"Seryoso, kayo talaga ang bumubuhay sa amin!"

And since it looks like they are ready for the final song, they got busy thanking people and sponsors left and right.

"Sa mga salbahe naming mga kaibigan, haha salamat sa pagbili ng album namin noong fetus pa ang The Wave. Sa mga nagdownload ng pirata online, mga tukmol kayo! Pambayad namin sa studio yung ninanakaw nyo!"