Chapter 1

Jerome's POV

I was in my village, living happily with Mother, Father, and Fairy (I have no clue, deal with it!) I was all tucked in and cozy for the night in our tree, in my bed of leaves.

"Sleep well my little Jerome," Mother said and kissed my forehead.

"G'night Mother," I said and closed my eyes and laid down.

I heard her walk out and I drifted off to sleep. About two hours later (I could tell because of the position of the moon) I woke to the sound of fire crackling and the clash of axe on sword. Fairy, my older sister by 7 years (a lot, I know right?!) came into my room looking distraught.

"Wha-" I started to ask.

"Shhhh," Fairy said, putting a finger up to my lips.

I followed her without question, she was 14 and almost ready to move into her own tree. We made it to the edge of the camp. I turned around and screamed. I had just witnessed a human impale my father with his sword, an iron sword. I looked up at Fairy, I could feel my tears through my fur. I could see that she was crying too. Then she seemed to look straight through me and gasped. She made eye contact with me and motioned with her ears for me to run deep into the forest. I motioned *What about you?* But she just shook her head at me. I ran off. When I just reached the forest I heard Fairy's cry of agony. I felt like my heart shattered. Father and Fairy were dead, and I don't know what happened to Mother I was alone. But I couldn't let Fairy die in vain so I kept going, deeper and deeper into the forest.