εννέα: The Half-Cousin Feud

I flutter open my eyes.

"She's awake!" I hear a male's voice call. I look up into the sea green eyes of the son of Poseidon I saved.

"I never asked you what your name was," I mutter.

"Spencer West," He says with a slight smile. "How about you?"

"Raven Glade," I reply.

"You've got really good aim, Raven." He smirks.

"I get that a lot," I try to sit up but he stops me.

"You need to rest." He says. "You're in the infirmary for a reason."

"You know, after I'm rested, you're joining me on a quest."

"A quest? For what? I just arrived here and I hardly still don't know what's going on!" He says, his voice dripping with worry.

"Then let me show you. And seriously, who needs rest?" I say as I roll over to the other side and get up. I actually get to look at his appearance; he has black hair that's in all directions as if he was on the run, which he probably could of been. He has naturally tanned skin and I can tell he's a bit muscular as if he's been at this camp for years.

I guide him out of the infirmary and I start showing him around camp and telling everything he has to know.

* * * *

"Here, have this," I hand him a ring. " I hardly ever use a sword and you don't even have a weapon."

"Are you sure, Raven?" He asks, uncertain. I nod. He examines the green snakes entertained with the other. It is a beautiful ring. One of my first and closest friend, Acacia - daughter of Zeus - she gave it to me when I was younger. I've used it before but I'm better with a bow and a quiver of arrows or knives or even hand to hand combat. I'm not saying I'm bad at it but its not what I do.

"If you press the blue gems on their eyes, it'll turn into a sword." I tell him, gesturing to the gems as I talked. He does what I told him and he's now holding a silver sword with green snakes twirling up the hilt on the sword. It's a very nice sword. I'm kind of guilty for giving it to him, but I hardly ever use it. Only during Capture the Flag and sword fighting lessons. Spencer starts swinging it around as if he's done this thousands of times before.

"You're a natural, Spencer!" I say to him and give him a playful punch in the arm. "But here's a tip," I walk to him and hold his hand that's holding the sword.

I hear someone clearing his throat behind us and I whip around.

"I don't think you've introduced me to the newbie, Raven." Zander Thorn says, his jaw clenched.

"This is Spencer," I say giving Zander a smug smile.

"I see you've given him the sword Acacia gave you. Don't you think she'll be disappointed in you if you just give it away to some new guy you hardly know?" He asks, inching closer to me.

"He's actually good, Zander." I roll my eyes.

"Oh yeah, let's see how good this sea cucumber is." Zander says darkly and he unsheathes his stunning black sword and swings it around.

"C'mon dude, I just got this sword. You've probably been sword fighting almost your whole life." Spencer says, putting his arms out.

Zander shrugs and lunges at Spencer. I've never seen this side of Zander. Ever. Spencer hardly blocks him but Zander is one of the most talented swordsmen at camp so, Spencer is toast. Zander comes back at Spencer with a swipe but Spencer rolls away just in time. Spencer swipes underneath Zander's feet but Zander effortlessly jumped into a somersault flip. Zander comes back with what could be a swipe to the head but I come in between them, using my dagger to deflect the blow that could of killed Spencer right then.

"Stop!" I yell at them both. I look up directly at Zander and hiss at him, "What's wrong with you, Zander? Is it so bad for me to give him a sword? No, it isn't. So leave." I give him a look so vicious that I might as well be shooting daggers at him.

Zander looks hurt at first then quickly recovers. He sheaths his sword and walks away, giving Spencer a murderous glare.

"Sorry, he's never like that. I've known him since I was eight, he never had a temper like that." I apologize to Spencer.

Spencer clenches his jaw. "It's fine. He's a son of Hades, right?" I nod. "I guess we're not always supposed to get along. It's fine with me. He didn't really make a good impression."

I nod. "We doesn't usually. Anyway, I have to get packed for tomorrow. Gather everything you can for the quest. We're leaving at nine o'clock in the morning." I order. Then with that, I walk away and think of what just happened.

* * * *

(A/N:

On the side, there's a pic of Spencer. So, I'm thinking of posting pics of what the characters look like, except Raven [maybe, I can't find a good pic]. It'll give you guys a better understanding of what the characters look like.

Comment/vote/follow/review/fan/constructive criticism)

-A