Chapter 11

I wake early and rub my eyes, sitting on the edge of the bed before I can fall back to sleep in Chris's arms. I look back at him sleeping peacefully while I pull on yoga pants and sneakers with a baggy shirt and stuff my hair under a baseball cap.

My body aches to be back in the bed, snuggled into his warmth, wrapped in his arms, waking him with smooth touches and light kisses so he can make love to me before I go to work. I have taken on the responsibility of Rubi's care, and she needs to be walked. So we walk along the wide path near the beach, the four of us passing runners, cyclists and other walkers with dogs, greeting each one cheerfully along the way.

This was much easier when I didn't have to leave a man sleeping in my bed.

When we arrive home the sun is just clearing the horizon and I spend a few minutes on the balcony enjoying the peace while I feed and water the dogs. The silence inside tells me Chris is still sleeping and I go straight to the bathroom for a shower. Standing under the warm pounding water I let it wash away the salt from my skin and then shampoo my hair. I'm lathering my body with bubbly cleanser when I feel two strong arms slip around my waist, and rather than jump in surprise my skin has already registered his familiar touch and I lean back against him.

"Good morning. I thought you'd sleep for a while yet."

"I could have, but I can't resist you in the shower."

He kisses my shoulder and I turn in his arms to rinse my hair while he takes the weight of my breasts in his hands and massages.

"Christopher," I breathe when I feel his lips on my neck. "I have to go to work."

"I won't stop you." He takes a nipple in his mouth and sucks, releasing it with a pop.

"You won't make it easy, either."

"Nope. I'm going to make it very, very, hard." He punctuates his words by pressing his erection between my folds until I moan and surrender to his desires, and my own.

While I'm making breakfast Chris appears in jeans with his chest bare and I'm sure I was going to say something but all coherent thought has faded away. He moves in behind me and presses his front to my back, kissing my neck until I giggle and swat him away.

I put the bowls on the table and remember the 'something' I was going to say.

"This is for you," I say, holding up a keyring. "Only if it's not too much. I figured if you want to stay after I go today, or be here when I get home, or come in late at night-"

"That would be creepy," he laughs.

"You know. Now you have my spare keys."

"Thank you. It's not too much." He leans across from his chair and kisses me. "Is there anything you want me to do before I go?"

"No, just don't lock the dogs inside."

"Noted. I can manage that. You're on call tonight?"

"Yeah, and Thursday."

He frowns. "I'll see you Friday night, then?"

"You better. Actually, meditation class is on tomorrow."

"I'll see you there."

One of the best indicators of impending labour in a pregnant bitch is their temperature, and I'm so grateful for Meg's forethought in taking a baseline. On Friday I note that it has increased a couple of points so she accompanies me to the surgery for the day so I can continue checking. It continues rising a point or two every few hours, and before I leave I take some blood to make sure she doesn't have an infection.