Chapter 26

Amelia

I wake up damp with sweat and toss the covers off my naked body. Gingerly I peel my eyes open, letting the light in little by little until I'm sure I won't be blindsided by a sledge hammer. Chris has drawn all of the blinds, leaving only a streak of sun filtering through the bedroom for the dust to dance and sparkle.

As I slowly sit up Nina and Olly's tails begin drumming on the hard floor but they wait until I'm upright to stand and head for the back door to be let out.

"Thanks for watching over me, guys," I say as I slip on Chris's t-shirt.

After a shower I'm feeling much more human and I sit down with a cup of tea to call him when I hear a key in the door.

"Amelia?" Kat almost whispers.

"In the kitchen," I call back. "What's up?"

"I didn't want to knock in case you were still sleeping, Chris just asked me to check on you at lunchtime in case you needed something."

I smile as she pulls out the chair beside me. "He's so thoughtful. I was hoping I might find his flaw before he went home, but I don't think I'm going to."

"How long?"

"A week. He took Asha and Hela to work with him, too."

"Whatever that flaw is it must be a doozy," she laughs.

After I let her make me a sandwich I curl up on the couch with Netflix but don't make it past the menu screen before my eyes are falling closed again, and then Chris is laying tiny kisses on my face.

"Hey," he says softly. "How are you feeling?"

"Heaps better. Just tired." I arch back to look at the clock behind him. "You're early."

"Yep. Stay right there and I'll get dinner."

I could get used to this.

"Are you sure you'll be ok to go tomorrow? We can cancel if you need to."

"I'll be fine. I'm not missing my one chance to go to the Melbourne Cup in style."

"I thought you'd be against the racing side of it."

"Yes and no. I'll admit I wouldn't be going if it weren't for you, and I've never been before. The horses are well looked after, though."

"I don't really get it, but if I get to spend an extra day with you that's all I care about."

"Awww... you're such a sap." He comes back from the kitchen with a beer and kneels beside me.

"I'm your sap. Until the very last second."

"Thank you for this morning. You're so good to me, that was incredibly thoughtful."

"I felt like I couldn't do anything to help."

"You did a huge amount to help. Sending Kat to check on me, taking the puppies. I love you."

"I love you, too. Do you want to tell me what happened?"

"They shot you," I whisper. "Right in front of me."

He strokes my face and kisses my forehead.

"I'm right here. Close your eyes, babe."

Chris came home last week holding an envelope with a thoroughly confuddled look on his face.

"The Melbourne Cup is a horse race, right?"

I nodded.

"What the hell is the Birdcage and why would I want to get in it?"

"You're shitting me?!" I squealed and snatched the papers from his hand. "It's the place to be for the Cup, where you have to be a full member or a very special highly important guest to be invited."