Chapter 6

A/N Trigger warning: traumatic event (hostage situation & shooting) mentioned.

Friday morning I'm feeling refreshed after a relaxed day off, and excited that Chris is coming over this evening to take me out for dinner. Brad and I are discussing the inpatients when Haley arrives.

"Oh, Amelia. You're here early." She gives my shoulder a comforting squeeze. "How are you two doing today?"

"I'm fine, Haley. It's just another day."

"You're not fooling anyone," Brad chides. "Are you coming to the memorial?"

I shake my head, and I can feel the frustration oozing from him like a rotten smell.

"Amelia-"

"Don't start with me. I have patients. I have work to do."

"You can't avoid this forever."

"Maybe not, but two years I've managed just fine."

"Alright," Haley holds her hands up. "I didn't want to start an argument."

"Are you ok to go ahead with the Aussie's care?" I ask him, keeping my tone neutral.

"Yeah. What are you going to do with them, though?"

"I don't know yet, but I'll take them myself if I have to."

I'm in a consult with a Dachsund after lunch when Jess, the third vet in our practice, pokes her head in. "Brad is leaving for the city now, he wanted to make sure you're not coming?"

"I'm not. Thanks, Jess."

I can feel Haley's stare from a metre away. "Don't say anything."

"Wasn't going to. I value my job."

"Good. Clean this guy's ear for me while I make up the script."

I'm in the dispensary when Piper comes bouncing in and stands so close our arms are touching.

"Um, hi Piper. What's up?"

"You have a visitor without an appointment."

"Ok... I need to finish up with this patient and then all I have to do is follow ups so can it wait twenty minutes?"

"Uh huh," her voice is at least two octaves higher than normal, and I frown after her when she bounces back out again.

Almost half an hour later I find out why. "Who wanted to see me?"

She points, I think she's gone mute. I look up and Chris is sitting in the waiting room. "Ah. I see."

"We'll be having words about this on Monday, Dr Harris." She whispers.

"Hi," he says from the other side of the desk. "I didn't want to interrupt but we finished up early today for the memorial."

"See? You could have gone-" I kick Piper's ankle under the desk.

"Come through, Chris. I just have some charts to finish up."

He gives me a quick, chaste kiss before we head for the office. I'm very much aware of my fur-covered scrubs, my sneakers and my hair that's haphazardly piled on top of my head.

"I like you in scrubs."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Maybe it's a Grey's Anatomy on-call room thing."

"It's good to see you," I say when we've finished the tour of my little workplace.

"You too. What was that about the memorial? You were going to go?"