Chapter 12

The remainder of the weekend is an endless pattern of four hours' sleep, four hours' watching Rubi and the puppies, preparing her food, weighing and checking for dehydration, putting them on and off teats and four hours' watching them together for both Chris and I. When I get the hemostats to remove their dew claws on Sunday night Chris gives me a horrified look.

"You're just going to pull them off?!"

"Not really. Sort of. They're a hindrance, all they do is catch on things and cause pain. Removed now it doesn't even hurt them. You don't have to watch."

"I'm curious now."

"Good. Have the styptic powder ready in case it bleeds."

When I clamp the first one and then scrape it off with my fingers he makes a sort of muffled gagging noise.

"Look – this one was only born with one. They're completely non-essential."

"He squealed."

"He didn't like being restrained. Does he look like he's in pain?" I hold up the first puppy, his little head flops sideways onto my hand as he sleeps.

"I guess not."

"It's fine, I promise."

He nods and looks away while I do the others but I see him tense every time one of the pups squeaks.

"Done. Not one drop of blood."

"I'm going to get you some dinner." He announces, standing up.

"Then you should go home. I can't drive you to the ferry tomorrow."

"I know. I'm still not leaving until morning, though."

"I don't have the energy to argue with you," I yawn. "I'm afraid I can't promise an exciting night."

"Excitement is overrated. I have a beautiful woman and puppies." He wanders in the direction of the kitchen and it occurs to me there probably isn't a lot of food in there, given I haven't left the house since Friday.

Chris goes out for takeaway Chinese, returning not only with dinner but enough groceries to last me a few days so I don't have to worry about leaving the dogs unattended. After dinner I allow Olly and Nina a quick introduction under Rubi's guidance before I put them to bed, and I'm confident enough in her instincts to sleep in the room with them without waking every couple of hours for feeding.

Tuesday afternoon the pups are thriving and I've just finished weighing them when Chris arrives.
"I think I might manage some sleep tonight." I mumble into his chest.

"God you need it. I don't know how you can still stand."

"I don't either. Adrenaline, I think. How was work?"

"Good. Quiet, I don't have much on this week." He moves me to the couch. "Amelia, have a nap. I can watch them for a while."

"Ok. Rubi's outside with Nina and Olly, the puppies are sleeping. They're not due for anything for an hour, just let Rubi back in then. The other two are allowed in the laundry now as long as they're quiet."

A few minutes later I feel him pull a blanket up over my shoulders and kiss my cheek, using the last of my energy to smile before I drift into the best sleep I've had in days.

"Shit. Shit. Amelia, wake up. Babe? Wake up!" He's shaking me awake and the first thing I hear is his voice as background noise to the deafening ringing in my left ear.

"Huh?"

Chris answers but all I hear is a low mumble.

"Stop. Slow down and talk into my right ear." He frowns at me but repeats himself on the side where I can still hear.