Early life

Park Chan Yeol was born on November 27, 1992 in Seoul, South Korea, and attended Hyundai High School in Apgujeong-dong, Seoul. He has a sister named Park Yoora, who is an Announcer at MBC Broadcasting Station in South Korea. His parents own an Italian restaurant "Viva Polo" in Seoul.Chanyeol was admitted to a private acting institution when he was sixteen years old, where he became good friends with Block B's P.O.He is currently a student majoring in Culture and Art Management at Kyung Hee Cyber University alongside some of his fellow members of EXO: Suho, Baekhyun, and Kai.After he watched School of Rock during elementary school, he began to be interested in music. He started playing drums after he saw a hero who played drums in a movie. Since his father worked in music during his young days, he had easy access to many musical instruments during his youth. When he was a first grade student in middle school, he joined a band with his best friends and played with them for about three years. He was accepted as a trainee under SM Entertainment after coming second place in the 2008 Smart Model Contest. When he first got into SM Entertainment, he expected to be in a band similar to Trax, but was disappointed upon realizing the difficulty in promoting as a band. After listening to various music during training, he began to focus on rapping.

During the two-day EXO'luXion concerts in Manila on January 23–24, 2016, he revealed that he stayed in the Philippines in 2007 to study English, which is a very popular destination choice for Koreans wanting to learn the language.