𝔹𝕖𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖

_________________________________

Just turned 18 in her final year of high school, April Grimes, a girl that everyone admired but envied at the same time.

Onlookers would always assume that April was living the dream life. With her family coming out on top as a picture perfect family in their hometown. With her father being the deputy for the King County Sheriff's Department and her mother being the model housewife to herself and her little brother.

But April's life was far from perfect. Sure she had the luxury of a home to go to every night. Had many friends and even a stable relationship with her boyfriend due to her being popular at school. This luxury of course came with earning herself the privilege of being co-captain at her schools cheerleading squad.

But her life was far from perfect however. Her parents argued almost everyday and nonstop, with the neighbourhood hearing almost everything. Even when the two adults would try to be quiet for the sake of their children, both April and her brother could feel the tension between their parents and both of them came to the final realisation that their family was slowly falling apart.

But after April's father was shot whilst on duty, it was the final breaking point for the Grimes family. With her mother being distraught and spending most days in the hospital, April had to step up and be strong for her family. She worked endlessly finishing school work whilst taking on part time shifts at their local bar to support everyone. If April wasn't working then she was taking her brother to and from school everyday, whilst sometimes stopping at the hospital to see their unconscious father and their mother.

Their fathers partner and friend, Shane, who April and her brother Carl saw as an uncle, massively helped too. With him coming over to the Grimes household to make sure they both got home safe. April would notice that Shane seemed to spend too much time at their house, especially when her mom was home. But April had no energy to care about how close they seemed to be getting at this point as most of it was spent praying for her fathers health or looking after Carl.

No one noticed if April was truly okay. Only her brother who she was grateful for. She would lay with her brother until he fell asleep. They did this every night. At first it was their parents arguing who made them first find comfort in each other. But now after their father had been shot, it became a continuous thing.

Carl would always notice if there was something wrong with his big sister. Carl admired April. And April adored her brother. April promised that if anything were to happen then she would do her best to protect her brother. Even if it meant she would get herself killed. She would take a bullet for him.

But neither of them knew what would happen in a few months time. With the world going from bad to worse.

And April had to make sure that she would still go through with her promise she had made to her brother.

No matter what cost.